Anyone else going for TM Officer ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Guski, Sep 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As above.

We had an acquaint visit organised for next month but it was heavily under subscribed and subsequently cancelled. Just wondering if anyone else was on here? Get in touch!
  2. Where was the acquaint?
  3. HMNB Portsmouth.

Got the call from my ACLO yesterday. I was really looking forward to it!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

TM used to require an engineering degree, then a maths/science degree, then just about any unrelated degree, such is the shortage & assumption that anyone with a degree can teach or become an expert in human resources. :)

As previously stated, odds of going to sea are few & far between.
  5. So whats a TM?
  6. Training Management, or Schoolie
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

"...heavily under subscribed ..."
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I suppose it's another oxymoron such as lightly laden.

aka: Just you. :)
  9. It might not get many direct applications, but you'd expect demand for branch transfer considering how much people drip about going to sea.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I'm going for SUY TM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Not as many as you might imagine, usually its considered the last resort as a transfer as the promotion ceiling is limited and the branch will always be under scrutiny for viability as it not a classical platform derived structure.

Nevertheless a good career for those want to do something different in the Navy.
  12. The career pipeline sounds quite appealing to me. I actually transferred into it from a RM application. Still planning on getting my green beret though.

But this isn't the first time I have heard that the promotion ceiling is limited. Mind going into some detail?
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Initially the Instructor branch which was closed in 1995, then the E(TM) sub branch which was meant to "whither on the vine" as the hierarchy believed that the X, L and E branches would take up all the TD/QA/Inst Delivery aspects normally undertaken by the I's. All of the HM, OC and MET went to the X (now Warfare) Branch and the IS Skoolies went E(IS).

So, it was left as a core that would function until their tasks were absorbed and the liability (required numbers) driven down and hence the proportional headcount. Once with a 2* as the Senior Instructor (Admiral Simon being the last), they now have 1 * and a few OF5s but of late the promotion to SO1 has spiked. Compare this with L for example approx 5 Cdres, 14 OF5s (Captains), literally dozens of OF4 (Cdrs) - X (Warfare) even higher and then the WE/ME/AE components who are broadly similar to L, you can see it's a significantly smaller branch, smaller pool, which makes competition for promotion that much fiercer and the requirement that much smaller.

Where the branch will go in the future - a good guess, there is a lot of speculation still but generally because it doesn't have an immediately platform facing requirement/function it's always deemed a good target for savings (read headcount) and thats translated to its overall structure.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2