Anybody in the Logistics branch?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by joeydav, Jan 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1. What role?
    2. What does your role consist of on a day to day basis?
    3. What do you like about the job?
    4. What don't you like about the job?
    5. Would you change jobs if you could?
    6. If so, what to?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. There are four very different roles within the branch. You'll need to be more specific.

3. 1. Go to work for a few hours, have scran, watch a few DVDs maybe, sleep.
    2. I sit quite close to the tea boat and the heads so don't have to stray too far from my desk.
    3. Scran is quite far away.
    4. No.
    5. See 4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Edited, my bad :D

5. 1. I generally screw up people's pay and allowances on purpose, blame JPA, sort the problem out and then look awesome for doing so.
    In reality, I make sure people are correctly tracked between locations, ensure that they get the right allowances, forewarn if there might be a problem with a movement back into the home port after the pay run (Sailors love to spend money that technically isn't theirs) and deal with general day to day administration. This isn't just limited to using another system that the Army want to push onto everybody else as a way of replacing competences on JPA (Never going to happen). But also producing Daily Lies (managed to sneak Roadhouse past the EWO, XO and the Skipper on one occasion).

2. I like dealing with all sorts of people and, as a writer, I get to do that. As I've been promoted to Leading Writer, I have to maintain a steely gruff exterior, blame the AB Writers when things go wrong, although I will never do the latter. Promotion can be quick for Writers, however, you have to be bloody switched on, listen to what is being said and act on it.

3. Even though JPA is all about "Self Responsibility", Writers are still quickly blamed when things go wrong. Even if we've told people for months that JPA is going down for an upgrade and we will not be able to do any more than the root of naff all about it.

4. Not really. The only time that would change is if I had no friends and became a crusher. That said, generally crushers are some of the nicest people I've ever met and I've only ever met one bad apple.

So, thinking about being a Loggie then?

• Like Like x 1
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've moved on from WE and Sea Spec then?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

7. You've thrown my numbering all out now!

Number 1 is writer. Add one to very other number.

Although i've not really had the opportunity to actually be a proper writer yet.

8. Nice, sounds good.
    I'm just thinking of a second job choice if I don't meet requirements for a Seaman Spec, I really want to join so I've gotta look at other possible jobs just in case! :D

9. Whats a crusher?

I got a start date for writer but have no experience to impart yet.

10. Not yet from Sea Spec I'm hoping I don't have to, just really hope my colour perception doesn't let me down.

Although it was WE to begin with lol, I didn't get enough on my Psychometric Test.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. RN Policeman. It's a sideways branch entry, much like PTI's.

12. Sorry :p

Your job seems like fun :)

14. If you want to join the most thankless branch in the Mob, then be a Chef or a Stoker.

If not, then be a WE. Once every 3 or so years, when you make something actually work, its Champers all round.

• Like Like x 3
  15. If you don't meet the requirements for Sea Spec, your options will will be very limited. McDonalds are always recruiting..

• Like Like x 2
  16. Next step would be steward

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

17. The requirements for Steward and Sea Spec differ. The default for failing "oh well you can be a steward if you like" is not always the option.

18. Lol it's my colour perception I'm worried about, I haven't done my medical yet and I'm pretty sure I'm already at least CP3. If I fail the lantern test I can't be a Seaman Spec.

I was told to avoid Chef/Steward and apparently logistics is one of the best jobs, it just didn't appeal to me from the start. :confused:

19. 'Best job' is obviously a matter of personal taste.

20. True, but it's hard to choose when you have no experience in any of the job roles.

I just wanted an opinion on what jobs were the best. Ie.. best for promotion prospects, hours, least boring, useful for when you leave, low dropout rate, etc