Any young people in the RFA?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Dealwithit, Sep 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, Been browsing the forum section for a bit now and see that most of the post's refer to rfa having mostly older people serving. So is the anyone who signed up when they were 16?

2. When I was on the Fort Vic and Fort George there were only one or two lads in their early 20s. The vast majority were late 30s plus.

But why does that matter? Every workplace has an office sprog. Start young and by the time you hit your 30s you'll hopefully be well up the career ladder.

Given the current job climate in this country I would definitely recommend the RFA as a career option for a young thruster such as yourself.

What branch are you looking at?

3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't regard late 30s as not young!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Compared to 16 it is!

5. Currently I'm 19 and looking at Getting in as a Deckhand.

6. Go for it. When I was on RFAs (not in the RFA I hasten to add), the deckies seemed to have the best job in my opinion. It opens up a fair few options to do some cool stuff like RIB driving and upperdeck guns crews, plus you can get some decent civvy quals like crane licences etc.

If memory serves the comms guys were also ex deckies who had moved on, so there is some career progression if you want to move in that direction.

7. exJenny

Comms is a separate direct entry job.

8. I had a bad education background at school so My maths and English is not the best. So I'v got to start revising for the RT.

9. exJenny

Have you applied to join?

10. Yes, I applied last night online waiting for them to call me.

11. My mistake, I thought they were ex deckies.

I'm sure there were some random branches where deckies went, or maybe they were just adquals. Aircraft Controller maybe?

**** knows, I was drinking a lot at the time.

12. Just wondering if you fail the RT do you get a another chance to retake it and if so what would the time span be between?

13. exJenny

Comms go HC now

14. exJenny

Ring the RFA recruitment number. They can probably advise when recruitment for deckies opens again.

15. That's good to know, It's a shame I have to wait to even get to apply I'm excited, Hopefully in 4 years I will be in

16. Most helicopter controllers were recruited from the deck dept. Some SAs too. At least one purser followed the deck -> SA -> purser route.

17. Dealwithit

I know that you said on the Boxing thread that the enquiries people had said to call back in November, but I think that it would be in your interests to check with RFA Recruitment as to when the particular role you are interested in will be recruited for. I think that Ex Jenny suggested that this will most likely be next year and recommended ringing the RFA to check.

The number to call is 02392 725923 - I suggest ringing them on Monday.

This is just so that you can plan the next few months - I wouldn't want you to plan on the assumption that you will be able to apply and sit the RT in November.

18. exJenny

I first contacted the RFA in feb and they said SG2 recruitment would open June - July. I sat RT July and had interview this month. Now it's a waiting game to see if I was successful but the first course out of the 2 they recruited for this time round starts in January! Pretty quick compared to the RN.

If you haven't got a book yet you can have mine. I don't need it. Can send via cheapest snail mail at no cost to you.

19. I asked about the SG2 positions, they said that the next recruitment drive would be November, Which is good for me as it allows me to revise math, I really want this bad.

@Exjenny What book?

20. exJenny

Psychometric test book