Any WEs out there?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by busychris, Jan 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm due to start basic in july and was wandering if there is anything I can be swatting up on to help with phase 2 training. Books to read etc?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

OMM or Danny are good bets for a heads-up on what roughly you'll be doing in phase two training, I'd have thought.

From an AFCO perspective we aren't briefed to advise WE's to revise in preparation for joining and one assumes that your Recruiting Test score is a good enough indicator for your readiness to undergo branch training, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

3. Basic electrical engineering . capacitors and how to add the totals up in a circuit . How to calculate capcitor resistance in series and parallel . They teach you everything in Collingrad anyway. How do I know? Because I helped my girl revise for it while she was home one weekend. Thats the hardest part of the course it seems. OHM's law learn that.

Can you install windows? That was another thing they learnt if they didnt already know how to press the OK button or NEXT. Componants in a PC and trouble shooting circuit boards. All taught at Collingwood , why do the instructors out of a job eh?

Theres some decent web sites that show you how to calc all that just do a search.

As Danny below says brush up on you maths if its rusty. Refresh how to rearange a formula to get the result you want using OHMs law to practice with.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Phase two is really basic I don't think there is any need to swat up at all, they will teach you everything you need to know.
    But depending on when you left school a quick refresher on basic maths wouldn't be a waste of time. [​IMG] etc. But again its not hard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Basic maths, decimals, division, multiplication, fractions

Basic physics, ohms law, bernoulli's principle, boyle's law

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Is it OK if I use the squirty sticky foam stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  7. lol indeed . That for the captins new window and a hammer for his PC.

8. Cheers guys, just what I was hoping for! Im 27 so maths revision it is, I did do a fair bit before my rt and it did come back quite quickly.

9. Design a mess call up system that works. This is something that has evaded the WEs I have worked with for the last 33 years. You must also be good at getting to watchkeepers scran, watching DVDs, guarding the mess and drinking Champaign when the 4.5 brick throwing device goes bang. Bitter, twisted, No. An ME yes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah. 'Cos it's such a chore to get off your arse to answer the door when somebody knocks, innit..? :shock:

11. Lighten up Sarg. Its only banter. If you can't take a joke.......

It took me ages to realise that the only reason we had two WE WO2s and a Seawolf third man to make sure their opposite numbers didn't get bedsores.

If I had been clever I would have been a WE. If I had been really really clever I could have been a WAFU and never gone to sea.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Warhammer and copious amounts of masturbation.

• Like Like x 1

13. Funny you should say that! When I re-catted from Dabber my first choice was WAFU REM and my second was REM. The WAFUs were full and the rest is history!

14. Forgive my ignorance Mr.Bender, what is REM?

15. Radio Electrical Mechanic I think . Yet again I stand to be corrected by SB lol.

16. Pinky (AEM(R)) in newish money, AET(AV) in euros

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Correct! Subsequently went to WEM(R), then OM now (I think) ET (plus extra letters!). There may be other short lived iterations. Faraday lives!

18. Being royally gash at phys and hiding in your gulch crying into a bowl of Koka noodles seems to be de riguer for the WE too.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Try Everyday Practical Electronics, it's a monthly magazine with projects etc but does some good regular features and teach ins on electronics and theory. Every circuit as a project is described as to how it works and what does what.
    Ive recently left as a WE after time done and I did electronics as a hobby from age eight. It gave me a good heads up and really to get on and progress it's best to know what your seeing when you see it.

As others have said, Collingrad will tell you all you need to know but I would advise swatting on maths, ohms law and parallel and series capacitor and resistor networks

Good luck and enjoy it, I have a huge workshop full of electronics now and I'm always building gadgets. The navy gave me that interest more than my then hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Learn and practise the famous WNBS until the equipment works again.

Thank you for asking - Willy Nilly Board Shuffle - never fails!