Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner?

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Grab a table at the Royal Arms, Stoke road, Gosport and get used to walking around ankle deep in spilt beer and scrumpy

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Grab a table at the Royal Arms, Stoke road, Gosport and get used to walking around ankle deep in spilt beer and scrumpy
Actually, while that was true 'back in the day', funnily enough I think it is now a disabled centre. They are trying to raise funding to preserve the glass canopy outside.

Standing by to be corrected.

skyvet

GCM
Far East in the 1960's standard steaming rig was a pair of chinky nicks with a tee shirt to put on if you were on the Bridge. Following on POTEL dropping a battery hatch and breaking his toe Steaming Bats became mandatory, prior to that a lot were bare footed. No showers but there may be the odd chance of hands to bathe. Nicks at about 10p a pair were ditched at the end of the trip.
Sarongs were the fashion of choice on Cachalot in the time-frame you mention Janner :)

fishhead

War Hero
Sarongs were the fashion of choice on Cachalot in the time-frame you mention Janner :)
Had a period of sarong wearing bringing the Tabbard back from Australia. We had a visit to Samoa where sarongs are rig of the day for most of the natives so everyone bought one to take home. We then wore them for the trip between Samoa and Honolulu. I saw some rather unpleasant sights going up and down the conning tower.:oops:

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Not sure that the canopy can be preserved in situ but it does deserve to be saved. I moved from Kent back to Fareham 18 months ago but havent been to the Stoke road area since our return so I was surprised the Royal Arms has closed. I suppose the writing was on the wall when the conventional subs went. More on the lost pubs of Gosport here

Latest Threads