Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner?

458Matty

Hi everyone,
I’ve been told that I have been selected for an accelerated apprenticeship as a submariner, which means the world to me.
I start basic training in September and I believe I’ll be up to the task, as I’m physically fit and confident enough in my own abilities to get through the 10 weeks.
However, I want to be ready mentally to be up to the task as a submariner. I’ve been in contact with one of my college lecturers who did the same job I’m going into, and he’s sent me a lot of mental maths training. I’m wondering if anyone here has any additional tips which would best prepare me for the challenge, because I absolutely do not want to be caught out by anything.
Anything would be appreciated, cheers.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If you mean mentally prepare to be a submariner, move your bed into the cupboard under the stairs and paint all the house windows black so you can't see out, ditch the mobile phone, ditch whatever you use to access the internet and make sure the stuff you can see on the telly is from DVD's or films on a laptop.

Stock up your cupboards and freezer to last you 3 months as you can't go out so plenty of tinned and frozen in.

Shower a couple of times a week, wear everything for at least a week before thinking of changing it (nix and sox can be done daily).

Newspapers are out as well.

soleil

War Hero
Matty

These videos aren't specifically to do with becoming a Submariner, but you will find them helpful for Basic Training. There are 7 videos in the batch, once you have clicked on the one below, the others will come on automatically afterwards.

Well done on being selected for the Accelerated Apprenticeship, by the way, that's a real achievement.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Shower a couple of times a week, wear everything for at least a week before thinking of changing it (nix and sox can be done daily).
Does not compute..........

Use the slide test - after removing nix, throw at wall. So long as they slide down, they're good for another watch/day.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you mean mentally prepare to be a submariner, move your bed into the cupboard under the stairs and paint all the house windows black so you can't see out, ditch the mobile phone, ditch whatever you use to access the internet and make sure the stuff you can see on the telly is from DVD's or films on a laptop.

Stock up your cupboards and freezer to last you 3 months as you can't go out so plenty of tinned and frozen in.

Newspapers are out as well.

What are these shower things of which you speak. You changed clothes during a trip?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Far East in the 1960's standard steaming rig was a pair of chinky nicks with a tee shirt to put on if you were on the Bridge. Following on POTEL dropping a battery hatch and breaking his toe Steaming Bats became mandatory, prior to that a lot were bare footed. No showers but there may be the odd chance of hands to bathe. Nicks at about 10p a pair were ditched at the end of the trip.