Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner?

458Matty

Hi everyone,
I’ve been told that I have been selected for an accelerated apprenticeship as a submariner, which means the world to me.
I start basic training in September and I believe I’ll be up to the task, as I’m physically fit and confident enough in my own abilities to get through the 10 weeks.
However, I want to be ready mentally to be up to the task as a submariner. I’ve been in contact with one of my college lecturers who did the same job I’m going into, and he’s sent me a lot of mental maths training. I’m wondering if anyone here has any additional tips which would best prepare me for the challenge, because I absolutely do not want to be caught out by anything.
Anything would be appreciated, cheers.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If you mean mentally prepare to be a submariner, move your bed into the cupboard under the stairs and paint all the house windows black so you can't see out, ditch the mobile phone, ditch whatever you use to access the internet and make sure the stuff you can see on the telly is from DVD's or films on a laptop.

Stock up your cupboards and freezer to last you 3 months as you can't go out so plenty of tinned and frozen in.

Shower a couple of times a week, wear everything for at least a week before thinking of changing it (nix and sox can be done daily).

Newspapers are out as well.

soleil

War Hero
Matty

These videos aren't specifically to do with becoming a Submariner, but you will find them helpful for Basic Training. There are 7 videos in the batch, once you have clicked on the one below, the others will come on automatically afterwards.

Well done on being selected for the Accelerated Apprenticeship, by the way, that's a real achievement.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Shower a couple of times a week, wear everything for at least a week before thinking of changing it (nix and sox can be done daily).
Does not compute..........

Use the slide test - after removing nix, throw at wall. So long as they slide down, they're good for another watch/day.

RabC

MIA
Learn to bore any non submariners senseless by constantly telling them how rich you are.

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you mean mentally prepare to be a submariner, move your bed into the cupboard under the stairs and paint all the house windows black so you can't see out, ditch the mobile phone, ditch whatever you use to access the internet and make sure the stuff you can see on the telly is from DVD's or films on a laptop.

Stock up your cupboards and freezer to last you 3 months as you can't go out so plenty of tinned and frozen in.

Newspapers are out as well.

What are these shower things of which you speak. You changed clothes during a trip?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Far East in the 1960's standard steaming rig was a pair of chinky nicks with a tee shirt to put on if you were on the Bridge. Following on POTEL dropping a battery hatch and breaking his toe Steaming Bats became mandatory, prior to that a lot were bare footed. No showers but there may be the odd chance of hands to bathe. Nicks at about 10p a pair were ditched at the end of the trip.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Grab a table at the Royal Arms, Stoke road, Gosport and get used to walking around ankle deep in spilt beer and scrumpy

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Grab a table at the Royal Arms, Stoke road, Gosport and get used to walking around ankle deep in spilt beer and scrumpy
Actually, while that was true 'back in the day', funnily enough I think it is now a disabled centre. They are trying to raise funding to preserve the glass canopy outside.

Standing by to be corrected.

skyvet

GCM
Far East in the 1960's standard steaming rig was a pair of chinky nicks with a tee shirt to put on if you were on the Bridge. Following on POTEL dropping a battery hatch and breaking his toe Steaming Bats became mandatory, prior to that a lot were bare footed. No showers but there may be the odd chance of hands to bathe. Nicks at about 10p a pair were ditched at the end of the trip.
Sarongs were the fashion of choice on Cachalot in the time-frame you mention Janner :)

fishhead

War Hero
Sarongs were the fashion of choice on Cachalot in the time-frame you mention Janner :)
Had a period of sarong wearing bringing the Tabbard back from Australia. We had a visit to Samoa where sarongs are rig of the day for most of the natives so everyone bought one to take home. We then wore them for the trip between Samoa and Honolulu. I saw some rather unpleasant sights going up and down the conning tower.:oops:

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Not sure that the canopy can be preserved in situ but it does deserve to be saved. I moved from Kent back to Fareham 18 months ago but havent been to the Stoke road area since our return so I was surprised the Royal Arms has closed. I suppose the writing was on the wall when the conventional subs went. More on the lost pubs of Gosport here

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K BRNC - any tips on getting ahead with study material? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter to councils on the re-opening of public toilets and tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority attends safety meeting about coal tips in Wales MoD News 1
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Santa’s top safety tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC tips on avoiding Self Assessment tax scams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waves and wind safety - top 5 tips MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Japanese comedian’s top tips for fans travelling to the Rugby World Cup MoD News 0
S Psychometric test tips/tools? Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Travel tips and advice if you're heading to a music festival in Portugal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 7 tips for motorists to stay safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh company shares top tips for exporting in new podcast series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Colliery tips in South Wales to be inspected over next 5 years MoD News 0
F PRNC tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Got my entry date- any tips or advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Sugar_Rush Interview- Advice and Tips very welcome Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
vauxhall Tips and Facts Finance & Pensions 0
Impact Training tips and tricks? Joining the Royal Navy 7
T5igger Interview tips for MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D 10k tips Health & Fitness 8
C Any last tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
P PJFT Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
ScottG95 HMS Raleigh Phase 2 tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S PRNC TIPS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
CalCi Tips on training for the 2.4km run Health & Fitness 139
taffscrivs Top Tips. Diamond Lil's 360
T Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field Travel & The Great Outdoors 49
A Recruitment test help!!! And tips! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
DemobJob Top 10 Tips for ex-military CVs The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S Fitness Tips for Newbies Diamond Lil's 3
R i have my rt tuesday.. any tips are very welcome!! Diamond Lil's 10
S Any tips for Peda selection? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
T Tips and advice on PRNC + Swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
ToonPatriot Tips for an AET starting Phase 2 soon... The Fleet Air Arm 8
janner Tips For Student Pilots The Fleet Air Arm 4
9 13 days notice S*****g my pants any last minute tips :D Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
N Looking for advice/tips/experiences... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
finknottle Tax saving tips Current Affairs 22
A Hot investment tips for 2006 Nautical Jokes 0
soleil Boxing Technique - Top Tips Sports and Adventure Training 29
R Any tips for RT on wednesday? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
L Tips for fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
soleil Top Tips For Cooling Down In The Heat The Quarterdeck 38
J I need tips for joining the navy ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
R Joining Up Soon, Any Tips Etc? Sports and Adventure Training 9
B AET info and PJFT tips please ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6