Any suggestions?...

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by fishface, Mar 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Hey lads,

I'm trying to find a biography of Admiral Fisher (being my namesake I thought I'd read up on him!) As it stands though the only ones I can find are either written by a bird who seems to want to talk about his face for 200 odd pages or have been reviewed as being crap.

Anyone read one they can recommend?

Cheers!

2. I presume you have already checked wikipedia, there is a large selection of references at the bottom of the page and some "further reading" which might be useful.

I have not managed to find a decent biography either :(

3. fishface

cheers guys feel like a bit of a fool that I didn't think to check the RN museum!

4. fishface

Fisher: The Admiral Who Reinvented the Royal Navy: Amazon.co.uk: David Wragg: Books

They've got this one at my library, I'll let you know whether its worth reading once I've read through it!

5. Hi Fishface,

Even a casual scan of Jack Fisher's career will invoke the spectre of his nemesis, Lord Charles Beresford.

(Between them they split the RN of the day into two camps and neither of the pair were averse to spinning their cases through the popular press.)

Your starter for ten on Charlie B. is at Lord Charles Beresford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both had interesting careers during a highly significant era of our rich Naval heritage.

~ ~ ~ ~

PS Oh - I've just remembered this one, too:

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: The Great Edwardian Naval Feud: Beresford's Vendetta Against 'Jackie' Fisher

Bob

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. fishface

7. fishface

8. Dies in the end.

9. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bugger -not worth reading now I know the ending!

10. Fear God and Dread Nought is the definitive Fisher, a collection of his papers/letters etc edited by the incomparable Arthur Marder.
    Marder's protege Richard Hough also wrote a biography, as did a chap called Mackay, a very good volume called Fisher of Kilverstone (or similar) - all are much better than the more recent Wragg book.

For a good, very readable overview of the period, Massie's Dreadnought (and his follow up Castles of Steel), are good reads.

11. There was a television broadcast about Jackie fisher not so long ago on the history channel, if you can find it on i player