Any suggestions?...

fishface

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hey lads,

I'm trying to find a biography of Admiral Fisher (being my namesake I thought I'd read up on him!) As it stands though the only ones I can find are either written by a bird who seems to want to talk about his face for 200 odd pages or have been reviewed as being crap.

Anyone read one they can recommend?

Cheers!

I presume you have already checked wikipedia, there is a large selection of references at the bottom of the page and some "further reading" which might be useful.

I have not managed to find a decent biography either :(

fishface

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi Fishface,

Even a casual scan of Jack Fisher's career will invoke the spectre of his nemesis, Lord Charles Beresford.

(Between them they split the RN of the day into two camps and neither of the pair were averse to spinning their cases through the popular press.)

Your starter for ten on Charlie B. is at Lord Charles Beresford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both had interesting careers during a highly significant era of our rich Naval heritage.

~ ~ ~ ~

PS Oh - I've just remembered this one, too:

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: The Great Edwardian Naval Feud: Beresford's Vendetta Against 'Jackie' Fisher

Bob

Last edited:

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
Fear God and Dread Nought is the definitive Fisher, a collection of his papers/letters etc edited by the incomparable Arthur Marder.
Marder's protege Richard Hough also wrote a biography, as did a chap called Mackay, a very good volume called Fisher of Kilverstone (or similar) - all are much better than the more recent Wragg book.

For a good, very readable overview of the period, Massie's Dreadnought (and his follow up Castles of Steel), are good reads.