Any role Ideas?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by PhyzNinja, May 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Just recently been MBOS'd from the RM. I injured my back in training, spent 8 months in Hunter Coy trying to rehab but no luck to continue with Commando training so I got the boot. Just to clarify I'm mega fit, smashed all the fitness tests to get out of hunter (harder than navy fitness tests) but couldn't do the one's that pass me fit for commando training e.g Load carries etc..) They wouldn't allow me to transfer straight to Navy training due to some legislations or what not.

Been back on Civvy street for a couple of months now and absolutely hate it. I'm waiting out for the reply from the employability board about what I can do in the future, really hoping that I can rejoin the Military.

I'm expecting they'er going to say I can rejoin but not within a certain time frame, I don't reckon I'll be able to complete RM training at all so now keen on being a matelot.

Posting here to find out what roles are best, in short I just want to be in the military environment with some good lads and lasses, crack loads of phys, travel a bit and have a good ol' time.

Unfortunately I'm colour blind so that rules out any of the hoofin' jobs like Diver, aircrewman etc..

Any ideas for good jobs?

Cheers!

2. Fitness is definitely a growth industry in civvy sector. Have you looked into the possibility of working in leisure centres, or getting involved in contributing to clubs like BMF or similar - maybe even something martial arts oriented?

It may not be sufficient to pay the mortgage right enough, which could rule it out immediately, but does give you opportunity to keep up your own phys in a productive manner, and expose you to civvies who have the military mindset (being ex, reserve or just interested but never served) so more receptive to the banter.

Just a thought.

3. If by colour blind you mean CP4, your options are limited to Chef, ET(ME), ET(WE), MA, WTR, STD, Supply Chain and the SM variants of these. Whether you consider any of these jobs to be "Hoofing" is up to you.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  4. Chef is 'Hoofing'! :)
    Edited to add: And your Bootie skills might come in handy when dealing with the customers! :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I read it wrong - I thought you were asking for ideas on how to keep sane while waiting to re-join.

Back in my box now . . .

• Old Old x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally an injury significant enough to preclude the completion of RM training, requiring an MBOS with a medical discharge will carry the same implications for re-entry into the RM or RN.

7. Haha cheers, I'm working in a gym now and hate it. Getting a bootcamp qual in the next few weeks so can start doing that to keep me sane.

8. Hmm thanks, I'll have a look into them.

9. Thanks Ninja, I spoke to the board about it and they said there shouldn't be an issue with re-joining. The problem I have is I know my back won't hold up in RM training but I'm pretty sure RN will be fine.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At risk of being a cynic, many a Royal has been promised many a future career following a training injury, only to have their hopes dashed upon application.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong but if you are fit enough to undertake RN training request a transfer whilst serving - if you leave & later re-apply you'll find the standards to join are far, far more stringent than the standards required to continue serving in a different branch.

Very often Nods in Hunter are offered the chance to PVR well past the opt-out date date. They fall into the trap of thinking "If I'm discharged P2 (Fit), I'll have no bother rejoining or getting a civilian job". Truth is, once you leave, particularly with a chronic back injury, the door closes rather sharply behind you.

I know of trained rank Royals who've had surgical procedures that are a bar to entry but who have continued to serve. Once discharged however, even if P2, they are knocked-back upon trying to re-enter.

Transfer whilst serving, don't take anyone's word when they tell you you can re-apply...it's a bloody 'mare.

Best of luck.

11. A chap who works for me, runs the BMF in the East Midlands. I can find out more info if you'd like.