Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any professional painters and decorators on 'ere?

Waspie

War Hero
Did any of you good folk morph into the above after the mob?

Need some advice on covering walls with very strong colours, with a very smooth finish. Mem Saab wants a lighter finish and icky here has to make it happen!!!

Just finished painting a hall with emulsion and it's been a right pain to complete remove traces of the previous colour!!! And as I have four more rooms of similar bold colours, I thought I might tap into some expertise!!! (Hopefully - please - Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Did any of you good folk morph into the above after the mob?

Need some advice on covering walls with very strong colours, with a very smooth finish. Mem Saab wants a lighter finish and icky here has to make it happen!!!

Just finished painting a hall with emulsion and it's been a right pain to complete remove traces of the previous colour!!! And as I have four more rooms of similar bold colours, I thought I might tap into some expertise!!! (Hopefully - please - Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!
I’m no pro but whenever I paint a room I do all of it with Dulux pure brilliant white silk, never ever use matt

No need to cut in between walls and ceiling, just do the lot in one go.... then if the walls need a different colour the white makes the perfect undercoat... or I cheat and leave the walls white and just put up a few pictures or a canvas... I’m not lazy but I’m keen on energy conservation and taking the path of least resistance

Salty-Dog

War Hero
Use a primer or base coat. This video is from Crown, but I should imagine other manufacturers have their own similar products.

Waspie

War Hero
Cheers guys. Used a base coat but for some reason the colour is bleeding through!!! (Even after two top coats). Can't get Crown in the quantities I need for love nor money!!!

With most folk off at the moment, trying to get the ideal paint in the colours she wants is nigh on impossible!! Everyone seems to be DIYing!!!! Wrong time to buy a do-er upper I suppose!!!

PervyVere I suppose!!

Jacobus

War Hero
Hence that old joke that when Bing Crosby passed and went to Heaven St Peter met him at the gates and said, now Bing, huge apologies. We normally have a buffet lunch for you new arrivals but Bobby Sands has eaten all the sandwiches.

Jacobus

War Hero
In fact the AAC det at the Maze used to host “discos “ (Christ !) actually inside the camp and invite all the local crumpet, local nurses etc from Newry and Lurgan. A great night out. Even at the risk of a honey trap. Still, it was considered a safe area.
On thé 2 occasions that I went I can’t recall if your man Bobby was in residence or not.
How’d we get from DIY advice to the Maze. ? What’s next. ? BBQ and meat cuts advice from the Shankhill Butcher ?

Chris P

War Hero
Cheers guys. Used a base coat but for some reason the colour is bleeding through!!! (Even after two top coats). Can't get Crown in the quantities I need for love nor money!!!

With most folk off at the moment, trying to get the ideal paint in the colours she wants is nigh on impossible!! Everyone seems to be DIYing!!!! Wrong time to buy a do-er upper I suppose!!!

PervyVere I suppose!!
Could be a difference between two different types of paint reaction, a painter did tell me once how to check what it is.... but I forgot - what's new??:(

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I can't believe this in Lil's and no-one has mentioned the ladies and having the "decorators in" :rolleyes:

Waspie

War Hero
I used Wilkinsons (Wilco) own brand paint in the living room, Hall/Stair/Landing. What a cracking finish good coverage and a third of the price of the big brands.
Woolies own brand was mega good back in the day too. (Wilko's is worth knowing - cheers for that.) (Using trade paint atm) No 2 son recommended!!!!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Or the gynaecologist who wallpapered his front hall through the letter box ?

Which reminds me of the joke about the gynaecologist who tired of the treadmill life of work - eat - sleep - work and decided he needed a hobby. He looked at the local community courses and found Practical Car Mechanics so signed up for that. After a few months of fairly intensive learning, the date approached when they needed to complete a practical exam. He turned up on the appointed day, completed the task diligently and then waited for the results. When they arrived he noted the certificate said he had a 150% pass mark.

Perplexed, he called the college to see if it was a mistake. "No, that is quite right" they said, so he asked how. "Well, the task was to take apart and then reassemble the engine with no errors. Disassembly was 50% of the mark, and reassembly was 50%. But you gained a further 50% because that was the first time we had ever seen anyone do the whole thing through the exhaust."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Royal Navy Marine Engineer Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Solicitors and CPS join professional users’ access scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Association of Chartered Certified Accountants application to cease as a recognised professional body for insolvency practitioners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reporting COVID-19 incidents to court and tribunal staff and professional court users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Socio-economic diversity taskforce in financial and professional services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transition period: letter to the professional and business services sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chartered professional bodies from the UK visit Pakistan virtually MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity Commission agrees terms for independent review of Professional Footballers’ Association Charity’s management and governance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS French professional travel waiver MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Poor accounting practice in charities to be referred to professional body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commission opens statutory inquiry into the Professional Footballers’ Association charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS WAAW and EAAD: letters to NHS, universities and professional organisations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the professional skills test for teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Regulators launch consultation on professional driver conduct guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the Professional Publishers Association Festival MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Professional court access scheme to be adopted nationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: “Professional, reliable and trusted” MoD News 0
O How long is the professional training durring the accelerated appreticeship scheme(Air engineering) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
MoD_RSS Press release: Newton-Paulet Fund: Professional Development Engagement Programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
C Aircrewman professional training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award In Next Generation Synchronous Digital Hierarchy The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award In IP Systems For Intelligent Buildings The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Customer Service Professional – Nationwide Vacancies - £7 - £10 per hour The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award In IPCCTV The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Fast Track Professional Adobe Photoshop Course The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award in Covert Camera Construction and Concealment The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
BFRS German Speaking Sales Professional The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award in Tactical Surveillance Procedures The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Level 4 BTEC Professional Award in Covert Observation Posts Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
BillyNoMates Professional Removals - Free estimates. Diamond Lil's 3
MG Maniac Lance Armstrong stripped of 7 titles and banned from professional cycling Current Affairs 34
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Security Professional The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Professional Trader The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S S & S Professional Qualification Please The Fleet 0
H Change in AC Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
lamrtn WS(HM) - Professional Training... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil HMS Sultan: Engineering Courses praised by professional body Bases / Shore Est 2
ex-GI New Professional head of Royal Australian Navy Current Affairs 0
sgtpepperband Qualified as a Professional Diamond Lil's 5
BusterQuin RN train Professional rugby team The Quarterdeck 4
A Pillow fighting goes professional... Sports and Adventure Training 3