Any one doing or done an advance driving course?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by builderbambi, Jan 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I start the iam advance driving course soon, and was wondering if anyone else had done it or one similar?

2. Have you considered the advanced course run by ROSPA.
    I believe it to be superior because regular re tests are required for the highest standards (equiv to what used to be called Class 1 driving) and the organisation is not profit making, whereas the IAM course is.
    I did both in the past and can tell you the ROSPA one is more challenging. It demands a good knowledge of Roadcraft the police drivers manual and consitent use of its' procedures; something you NEVER forget.
    It's debated by some (not me!) but the standard is streets ahead of the IAM.
    Whatever you do, good luck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. I'm doing the IAM course at the moment. Whilst it is not as stringent(or as expensive) as the ROSPA course, it is still a very good way to CDF check your driving skills.

4. Drove across Puerto Rico once, that was an eye opener!!!:iroc:

5. Passed my IAM test about 2 years ago. Spent a while at the local club being assessed by qualified observers. My test lasted about an hour and a half and covered every aspect of driving. The tester was the top police driving instructor/tester for my area. Be prepared to give a running commentary during your test. IAM also uses the Police Roadcraft Manual and is also a charity. Once you've passed find an insurance company that recognises your qualification and ask for a quote. You'll be surprised at how good a quote you get. Big tip is observation. Good luck.