Any marine cadets?

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by booty_cadet, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any marine cadets on here going to Swynnerton next week? pm me if you are.

2. hey booty
    u ever been to swyneerton before?

YS

3. Nope but I started a thread on www.arrse.co.uk in the training wing asking questions about it. What about you?

4. yeh i used to be in the army cadets,

trust mate i have had 2 experiences at that camp,

torrential rain staying in one of the old station houses train loading bay thingymajigs and theyre not waterproof just because they have a roof make sure you have waterproofs and plenty dry kit

the other time we ended up ditching the buildings and sleeping in the snow under ponchos.

its a good camp with pretty good training area due to the buildings and lake but always cold and wet.

YS

5. Looks like making a bivi over my pit....

6. You in Marine cadets at the moment?

7. nah i left army cadets a few years ago it got too childish i tried joining the RMR but been held back due to a knee problem.

8. oh ok. Thanks for the tips.

9. Hi all

Im trying to encourage my nephew to join the Royal Marines when he leaves school and in the interim to join the Marine Cadets. He was swaying toward the Army (first mistake) and joined the Army Cadets - It was depressing to say the least and all they ever done was drill. (no phys, field weekends or decent lessons)

Needless to say hes left and has now been put off the Forces. I am still hopeful however and am trying to show him that the Corps is the way to go.
    Can anyone give me a heads up on what the RM Cadets are like, what you do at weekends and also where the nearest Det is to me (Edinburgh)

Much appreciated

Spenny

10. There are major difference between units, however one thing that is common in all is Corps pride.

Although I'm off to hopefully pass my AIB and become a Warfare Officer in the RN, I think it has set me up brilliantly. Half of the oppourtunities within the cadets are upto you to make, there is the chance to go on a course through most of the year and I would advise he gets on as many as he wants, although many are with the SCC, they are a laugh, and voyages on the Royalist are among the best weeks I have ever had.

As long as the cadets are willing there are usually plenty of oppourtunities within Marine Cadets to get crawling in some mud. Recruit training will be boring and focuses on Drill and Corps History, however its got to be done, and then you go on courses, get the Blues Uniform, and start having a laugh.

11. I suggest you try www.sea-cadets.org (official site) and www.sccportal.org.uk (cadet forums) for further details.

I second what Botty Cdt Sgt says. I was a PO Cadet in the SCC until earlier this year and I had some fantastic experiences in the cadets; there are very many opportunities - I even went to Hong Kong with them. "You get out what you put in." Who knows, I might have bumped into our cadet sergeant here at some time. :lol:

12. Possibly Dunkers, it is a small corps!

My time in the SCC-Marine Cadets, is nearly over! I'm still not sure whether to go over as staff in the interim between there and hopefully BRNC.

13. You could always join your unit's UMC; no paperwork involved like there is in becoming staff, and you stay involved with your unit in some capacity.

14. The management commitee? Less said the better on that one! Keeping in mind it was the Unit Chairman who forgot to send my application for the International Cadet Exchange!

I might go in as a CI, dependant on time constraints.

15. SCC politics, you gotta love it :roll: :roll: :roll:

16. I suggest you try www.sea-cadets.org (official site) and www.sccportal.org.uk (cadet forums) for further details.

I second what Botty Cdt Sgt says. I was a PO Cadet in the SCC until earlier this year and I had some fantastic experiences in the cadets; there are very many opportunities - I even went to Hong Kong with them. "You get out what you put in." Who knows, I might have bumped into our cadet sergeant here at some time. :lol:[/quote]

Cheers, appreciate the info. One other thing and I dont mean to be ignorant here, but is the SCC and the Marine Cadets one unit that trains together or are they separate?

Im trying to understand the structure and in respect of that the variations in training, uniforms etc.

cheers

17. The Marine Cadets are part of the Sea Cadet Corps, but marine cadets and "blue jacket cadets" (the sailors) undertake different training (but in the same unit; the same organisation).

A sea cadet unit which also has marines is said to have a "marine cadet detachment" which means it also has a squad of marine cadets. They have a different training syllabus (field craft, RM history etc) but are to all intents and purposes, part of the same unit as the "sailor" sea cadets.