Any last tips?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ckh79, Sep 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,
    I am about to join hms Raleigh this Sunday and was wondering if I could get any last tips to help me while I'm down there.
    Thanks,

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

2. "All hope abandon, ye who enter here..." - Dante's Inferno

"Fly, you fools!" - The Fellowship of the Ring

"RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

...More seriously, pay attention to what you're told to do and make sure you and your oppos do it well, and that's a big part of it done. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Don't take tips from anyone on your course who starts with 'but this is how we did it in Sea Cadets'. That way lies certain pain...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Thanks alot yous too, I'll make sure to keep you updated and yeah I realised up in my prnc that former cadets aren't their favourite people so I'll keep that in mind.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Do as others have advised and keep your mouth shut! My son has found out the hard way today and put on a warning!

6. Keep your mouth shut and your head down. Don't be first but definitely don't be last - be second or third. On squad runs DO NOT be away out front - drop back and help/encourage a slower team member. Look on kit musters as a thing of beauty and pride -make your's look as tiddly as you can.

Remember - bullshit baffles brains. If you learn nothing else from New Entry or life, remember that!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Listen to your instructors

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fog Watch isnt real :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Enjoy, take it in the spirt of a new adventure, and listen to what your instructors tell you they may stitch you up from time to time but bods from other classes will really stitch you up. Try and gel as a class it makes life easier, you may be making new friends for life. Pulling your wait and not being a dead weight will be noticed but do not brag it up or play the big I am that will single yourself out as a potential ********, it is also very simple to make the wrong impression when you are ultra-keen so take a breath count to ten and proceed.
    Good luck

10. Dont quit! It'll get tough, when that happens, remember what you're doing and why you've joined.

Good luck.

11. I know a few people who are joining with you. If im right, your in Hanson division meaning you have majorly dipped in! My juniors will be your seniors. Your PO's are the most sound guys youll ever meet. You should be met at the train station by the Leading Reg....hes quite intimidating especially when hes the first person you meet. don't worry about him, he changes after week 4 and becomes the most sound person youll ever meet.
    The Chief is a lad. Simple as, he doesn't want to kick anyone out but will if he has to. Oh, Chief lovewell loves being called Leading Hand! ;)
    I passed out of Raleigh sept 11th and I honestly thoroughly enjoyed it. Any deep questions about It, just PM me. Play he game, take extra towels, underwear and such to use as stunt...youll never use them. Never get dis heartened, it wont help anything and just continue to put you down. PM me and ill give you my email address so if you have any concerns and worries during Raleigh, you can just ping me one across and ill do my best to help!

Mo

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Good supporting post Mo

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm not too sure that members of staff would appreicate being identifed and mentioned on this site. Also, taking extra kit such as towels etc purely for display during kit musters does not show an ability to look after and maintain your kit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  14. You have a point about the names, ive edited the post.
    The reason for the extra kit is because our PO's told us to bing them. As I stated, they want to make your life as easy as possible. You dont have to take extra. However, its recommended that you buy them when your able to.
    People don't have to listen, its just little bits of advice that makes Raleigh that little bit easier

15. But now you've quoted the post the names are there despite being deleted from the OP ;)

16. Yer good one Drakey:( Well spotted Wrecks

17. I've now edited my post also. I think I got my point across though. MoMorris appears to be the resident expert on all issues concerning Phase 1 training.

18. not saying im an 'expert' atall.....im just putting things that got me through training.
    Hints and tips...that's what im putting down.
    Im putting what I learned and considering ive just passed out, I thought it was a helpful thing to do.

19. AAF

AAF Badgeman

It was , carry on Mo.

20. He probably is at this point in time those that manage to escape the firing squad and go all the way to graduation, are the current experts until the next class passes out, but not all of them post on here, so any help to the new recruits should be welcome, relying on someone like me that passed out of Ganges in 1974 or Raleigh in 1982 from Leading Rate leadership course is no use really.

• Like Like x 2