Any landing you walk away from...

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by JamesH, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is surely a good landing.

I've been sent these piccies (thanks Stan!) I believe they are from HMS Victorious (2nd Commission??), just thought I'd share.

Click on thumbnails for full size. Any information about the pictures would be gratefully received.

All from

2. L/T Marshall /Sub/LT Maddox 892 sqn HMS Victorious 8th Feb 61 both walked away unharmed :thumright:
  3. The pilot couldnt transfer fuel from the starboard tank. He made an emergency landing but the starboard oleo collapsed on landing with the drop tank releasing and bursting into flames. The observers PEC got snagged up on the Os hatch while abandoning A/C you can see the pilot waiting for him to escape! best wishes scouse :thumright:
  4. I guess that comes under the definition of "bad".
  5. ?!
  6. I meant the pics in general - not the fact that the aircrew survived. THAT was a bloody miracle by the looks of things.
  7. Scouse,

Cheers for the info.

Much appreciated.

8. I recall salvaging the electrical bits for use by the training department in the UK.
  9. Is it just me, but if he was coming in for an emergency landing, then why didn't they shift the second plane that can be seen in pictures 2 and 3???? Why leave it next it the landing strip bit???
  10. You have obviously never worked on a fixed wing carrier. The landing strip as you call it is an angled deck, arranged so that aircraft can be parked next to it fairly safely. Now there is not enough room in the hangers for all the aircraft carrier so many are parked on the flight deck.
  11. Fair enough. Yep - my nautical knowledge comes from 1 tour 'down south' where i spent an entire day bobbing about the south atlantic on HMS Cardiff. And a jolly good day it was too! Bar the sea sickness which was probably caused by the previous nights shennanigans in the mess!
  12. I think that was James' point.
  13. Another one.

Apparently the brakes failed and the pilot got out under water. Over to Scouse :thumright:

14. crickey a Scimitar with 3 whirlwinds in the background ? have to phone a friend :thumright:
  15. Scimitar 803 squadron HMS VICTORIOUS 61 Pilot L/t Mc Intyre and 3 Whirlwinds 825 sqd/ got me on their names :thumright:
  16. Can anyone identify the destroyer on guard duty? I would like to know :salut: cheers
  17. [Deleted]
  18. Phantom OO1 of 892 sqdn (omega) set a transatlantic record of 4hrs 47 mins in 1969 LONDON TO NEW YORK :thumright:
  19. FIRE FIRE FIRE! Fire on the flight deck SSEP muster............