Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any help greatfully appreciated. Advice/info needed

gortoj01

Since a ripe young age i have always wanted to be a pilot in the armed forces i am now 19 and want to pursue my career choice as a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm. I have all the minimum required qualifications that are requested for pilot, I have read the RN Website and been to my carrears office, both of which didn't really offer me much information in what to expect in aptitude tests and what examinations and interviews i am likely to sit.
I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what to expect from actually posting my officer enquiry form to getting to my goal of being either a fixed wing pilot or helicopter pilot. Purely so i have an advantage over other candidates as i will have a good idea on what to expect, and I will be able to prepare myself as much as possible.

kind regards

chieftiff

War Hero
Have a read of this very long thread: Newbies Forum, AIB Sticky

There is a fair bit of advice with reference to Officer selection and the odd snippet about Pilot selection. Once you've read all the way through that thread post any questions you may have in Newbies. I'm not trying to bone you off, there are only a couple of serving pilots on here and they check in infrequently. Ninja_Stoker is our resident careers guru and Moderates that forum, probably your best bet for advice.

Good Luck.

NotmeChief

Banned
A lot of newbie posters say things like 'they never told me about....' etc; don't forget you can always ask about something, you don't have to leave it to them to do all the running, your the one that wants to join up and the one wants the information - ask.

Of course you could always be sensible and become a traffic warden instead.

The Fleet Air Arm has a lack of airplanes, no fixed wing, and a helicopter ( the Merlin) the navy can not afford to fly, so being a pilot in that command does not sound that interesting. Try civil aviation or the Air Force.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
huffnut_cringe said:
The Fleet Air Arm has a lack of airplanes, no fixed wing, and a helicopter ( the Merlin) the navy can not afford to fly, so being a pilot in that command does not sound that interesting. Try civil aviation or the Air Force.

Alternatively, you could take advice from someone who actually has a clue what they're talking about.

Ninja_Stoker said:
huffnut_cringe said:

Alternatively, you could take advice from someone who actually has a clue what they're talking about.

Seconded. Presumably, you have already looked at the Fleet Air Arm ORBAT (Order of Battle) on the RN website?

aljh

MIA
Search through here and look on pprune. Do not ask what to expect in the aptitude tests: they are APTITUDE tests, not 'how well can you revise' tests. Asking questions on here obviously shows you're keen, but do some research.

aljh said:
Search through here and look on pprune. Do not ask what to expect in the aptitude tests: they are APTITUDE tests, not 'how well can you revise' tests. Asking questions on here obviously shows you're keen, but do some research.

Even so understanding the nature and purpose of the task can improve your performance which is why many testing organisations try very hard to avoid too many of their test papers being available to the public.

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
You need to be good at mental arithmatic and speed/time distance problems. eg. How long will it take to fly 24 miles at 140 kts. Do you have enough fuel left at a given rate of consumption with a given amount remaining in the tank. Most of the test takes place on a computer simulator for which you either have the aptitude or you dont. My son has been through the whole process and has just been awarded his wings. I will try and answer any specific questions but you should really go through the official channels. Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Stamp duty holiday continues to help hundreds of thousands of jobs after further 21.3% boost in September MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Help! I'm not allowed in a High Security area..... Diamond Lil's 23
MoD_RSS Investing in foundation industries: help to back innovators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMG launches Export Growth Plan to help businesses MoD News 0
A Submarine school help Submariners 14
M Can you please Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 9
M Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 18
MoD_RSS Government pledges £1 Million in response to ITV's Help our Helplines campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark pension proposals will protect savers from scams and help tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £25 million available to help farmers boost productivity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England steps in to help pedestrians in Dorset MoD News 0
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New leaflet launched to help communities prepare for flooding MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Government launches cross-sector Working Group to help address multiple small pension pots MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS Hundreds step up to help smaller employers Kickstart Britain’s recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Information Campaign to Help Brits Prepare for EU Travel Changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plan to help protect care homes from coronavirus over winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding to help hospitals introduce digital prescribing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for help to solve our data challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK Internal Market Bill will help to boost the Scottish economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help pension schemes seize long-term opportunities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New flood warnings for Upton-upon-Severn to help communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Assessing the global ceasefire to help fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government investment to help build robots for nuclear plants and batteries for electric aeroplanes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to help healthcare suppliers improve cyber security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £30 million boost to help unlock land for new homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New voluntary calorie guidelines to help industry tackle obesity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New framework contractors appointed to help stop mine water pollution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flower power to help car journeys this bank holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministers call on councils to help deliver digital connectivity ambitions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 64 million meals claimed for as Eat Out to Help Out enters fourth week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Early years support package to help close Covid language gap MoD News 0
S Need help RFA 4
MoD_RSS More than half a billion pounds to help people return home from hospital MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British experts help Mauritius protect coral reefs from oil spill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Legally binding targets to help “build back greener” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New help on offer for disabled people working from home during the pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain eats out to help out – over 35 million meals claimed in first two weeks MoD News 0
Skylarker Vaccination help RFA 18
MoD_RSS £1.2m innovation contracts awarded to help Army engineers survey water crossings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eight reasons to Shop Local this week to help the high street bounce back MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FUNDING BOOST TO HELP COMMUNITIES PLAN THEIR NEIGHBOURHOODS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding to double nursing apprentices and help deliver 50,000 more nurses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus support measures help 65,000 businesses in Scotland MoD News 0