Any help greatfully appreciated. Advice/info needed

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by gortoj01, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since a ripe young age i have always wanted to be a pilot in the armed forces i am now 19 and want to pursue my career choice as a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm. I have all the minimum required qualifications that are requested for pilot, I have read the RN Website and been to my carrears office, both of which didn't really offer me much information in what to expect in aptitude tests and what examinations and interviews i am likely to sit.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what to expect from actually posting my officer enquiry form to getting to my goal of being either a fixed wing pilot or helicopter pilot. Purely so i have an advantage over other candidates as i will have a good idea on what to expect, and I will be able to prepare myself as much as possible.

kind regards
  2. A few spelling mistakes in there i just noticed haha, typed it a bit too quick i think sorry
  3. You can go back and edit the eerors.
  4. does any one have any information on FATs or when i am likely to sit an aptitude test?
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Have a read of this very long thread: Newbies Forum, AIB Sticky

There is a fair bit of advice with reference to Officer selection and the odd snippet about Pilot selection. Once you've read all the way through that thread post any questions you may have in Newbies. I'm not trying to bone you off, there are only a couple of serving pilots on here and they check in infrequently. Ninja_Stoker is our resident careers guru and Moderates that forum, probably your best bet for advice.

Good Luck.
  6. Not totally relevant for the AIB bit but, for the intrepid birdman selection element;

Another useful piece of advice; navigate round the keyboard and get a fix on the caps shift keys. They are your presentational friends.
  7. A lot of newbie posters say things like 'they never told me about....' etc; don't forget you can always ask about something, you don't have to leave it to them to do all the running, your the one that wants to join up and the one wants the information - ask.

Of course you could always be sensible and become a traffic warden instead.
  8. The Fleet Air Arm has a lack of airplanes, no fixed wing, and a helicopter ( the Merlin) the navy can not afford to fly, so being a pilot in that command does not sound that interesting. Try civil aviation or the Air Force.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Alternatively, you could take advice from someone who actually has a clue what they're talking about.
  10. Seconded. Presumably, you have already looked at the Fleet Air Arm ORBAT (Order of Battle) on the RN website?
  11. Search through here and look on pprune. Do not ask what to expect in the aptitude tests: they are APTITUDE tests, not 'how well can you revise' tests. Asking questions on here obviously shows you're keen, but do some research.
  12. Even so understanding the nature and purpose of the task can improve your performance which is why many testing organisations try very hard to avoid too many of their test papers being available to the public.
  13. You need to be good at mental arithmatic and speed/time distance problems. eg. How long will it take to fly 24 miles at 140 kts. Do you have enough fuel left at a given rate of consumption with a given amount remaining in the tank. Most of the test takes place on a computer simulator for which you either have the aptitude or you dont. My son has been through the whole process and has just been awarded his wings. I will try and answer any specific questions but you should really go through the official channels. Good luck.