any ex ETME's?

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by i-hate-usernames, Feb 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,

left in 2011 as a scale a stoker, since then been working in london as a building maintenance engneer,

im looking to move careers because maintenance is so boring, even more than a gangway watch!

just wondering if any other stokers have got into anything that is quite close to being a stoker in the mob??

2. Life isn't always greener :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. i said its boring, but not as bad overall as being in the mob, plus being on 13k more than i was in the mob helps aswell :)
  4. Power generation on operations side,watch on stop on,you tell someone else it's broken ,you put rip outs on, take them off and pre start check kit

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One of 'my' former young ET(ME)'s (just got his hook before leaving) off Iron Duke called in to say 'Hi' the other day, handing me a bottle of rum. He's on a fast track scheme working on rigs in Malaysia. Reckons he'll be on around £100k within 18 months. Already on twice my wage.
  6. Can the rigs apply to WE aswel? Sisters husband works on the rigs so that will give me a little boost to. When I eventually give notice.

Witty one liner
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I guess so, but you would have to speak with the petro-chemical industry when the time comes - things do change.

Interestingly this former LET(ME) went to a careers seminar along with former RN Engineering Officers, qualified Artificers, etc., and thought he had no chance. He was shortlisted to six (all former technical ratings with managerial potential) and he was lucky enough to be selected. This was probably due to the excellent 'on job training' he received on HMS Iron Duke. Or at least that's what I like to think. ^~
  8. Sorry to carry this on a little more but what other job opportunities? Been a little in the dark of the afterlife

Witty one liner
  9. Out side the mob there is plenty to do you just have to decide where you want to live and go and find work there, unless you are very lucky you have to go and find that job that will interest you, it will not come looking for you. Unfortunately job satisfaction does not always mean loads of dosh the same as loads of dosh can still be a crap boring job, your life your choice go for it or regret your boring job.
  10. If I've read your previous posts correctly, you haven't joined up yet. If so, isn't it a little premature to think about what you can do after you've left?