Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by 5oclockhero, Feb 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen the promo videos on the official site which paint a rosey picture of life in the RFA. But can anyone on here confirm its as good as they say? What's the training at Raleigh like? Is it all classroom stuff? What's a typical working day onboard like? Do you work 7 days a week at sea?
    Lots of questions I know and I've so many more, but any info from someone who has been through it, currently going through it, or knows from someone would be appreciated.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Obviously there are serving and former RFA Officers and Ratings 'on here' and a fair few RN with experience of the RFA afloat and ashore. I think there is already an 'Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here?' thread on here.

I have no doubt that all your questions have already been answered. Look at the RFA threads, use the search engine. If you have one that hasn't been answered, by all means post it.

[h=2][/h]

3. Ok Seadog, been looking through the threads and still have a few unanswered questions.
    The Raleigh training and whether working 7 days a week, for starters.
    Any help? Would appreciate.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What are you looking at joining as? Every job has different training.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

If that question hasn't been asked / answered there is probably a very good reason. On a ship at sea, who do you think works weekends so you don't have to? Who will cook dinner, look out of the window, make the officers' beds, keep the lights on, steer....................?

6. Of course it isn't. Recruitment fluff.

You work every day on board. The usual exceptions, for non-duty personnel and departments other than catering are Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Work in the catering department is reduced/minimised on those days, whilst still putting a bit of effort into an at least half-decent Christmas lunch.

Saturdays and Sundays are normally a half day routine for dayworkers, whether at sea or in port, but this is subject to operational requirements.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Thanks. Didn't know if they did 5 out of 7, or 7 days. Looking at applying for a Stewards job when it comes up.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)