Any coppers out there?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by 2_deck_dash, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. My mate has a slight predicament, it's looking quite likely that he may be forced to commit a traffic offence in the near future. Now before he does this, he'd quite like to know what sort of penalty he could be looking at if he gets caught.

    Basically he purchased a brand new unregistered, imported motorcycle a few weeks back. In the process of registering it, the DVLA have been utter ***** and are ******* him about no end. Thus far he has had 3 separate trips to their regional office to sort this out and they still haven't sent him through his registration docs and tax disc. They also won't answer any of his phone calls. It's been a month since he first tried to register the bike. All his paperwork checks out, the bike was built for the UK market and has a certificate of conformity, there are already quite a few of them on the road which are identical to his. He has also taken out insurance to ride the bike using the chassis number to identify it.

    Last week he received a letter informing him that he now has to bring the bike to their office for inspection. Unfortunately, he doesn't own a van or low loader and the only way he can get the bike up there is to either pay a fortune to have it delivered to their offices or to ride it negative number plates. He doesn't really fancy pushing it 17 miles.

    Theoretically if my mate were to ride the bike unregistered and without plates and were caught, what sort of penalty could he be facing? Bare in mind, he is insured, he has paid for road tax and the bike conforms to all UK standards. If he were to be pulled over by the old bill, he would have in his possession a valid licence, insurance documents and correspondence from the DVLA, proving he is on his way to their office.

    Any feedback from serving plodders or those in the know would be much appreciated and I will pass it on to my mate.
  2. Get a dodgy Polish/Romanian/Slovakian plate, coppers wont bother pulling him over!!!
  3. Your "mate" hasn't bought one of them gay bikes like yours has he?
  4. I have no idea what you are talking about.
  5. 2DD If he has paid for road tax, it MUST have a registration number on it i.e AB 12 CDE, I cant understand why they have issued one if he has no index.

    Old bill may be lenient if he's caught / stopped, but I very much doubt it. All he can do i suppose is to take the chance.. best of luck to him.

    Looking at the post, he would probably get done for "Failing to display valid tax disc, and also No number plate"... probably resulting in a fine and / or points on licence...Ferkin stupid i know but as they say "Rules is rules"
    Im sure someone else will be along to point you in the right direction

    Edited due to my not reading the post properly..

    I take they took the money for road tax but didnt issue the disc ?
    (apologies for my buffoonery)
  6. Correct, when he paid to register the bike, they also took the fee for the first tax disc along with all of his documents.
  7. As an after thought... has he tried contacting the local VOSA office ? they may send someone out to give the bike the once over and let the Fcukwits know that it conforms to UK Specs e.t.c.

    Failing that I have a 55 plate Honda CBF 600 I can flog him :lol: :lol: :p
  8. The fact is he shouldn't have to, he has already given the cnuts a UK type approval certificate which clearly states that the bike was built specifically for the UK market.

    It looks like he is going to have to shell out 100 notes to hire a transit.
  9. Streetvan would be cheaper than that, 2DD.
  10. Well the good thing is if he does decide to go for it, he wont have to worry about speed camera's :D
  11. Just 2 tin him

    Then he will have to do it
  12. It's not left hand drive is it?
  13. 2DD, tell your mate 'Ravers' to plead insanity. There's plenty at ARRSE who will back him up on that. :wink:
  14. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    It could be that the insurance will be invalid if the vehicle is not properly registered ie in a position to display the correct reg number. No insurance can get heavy if you are in a reasonably well paid job, plus of course disqualification would be a possibility.

    Local B & Q was offerring hourly rate van hire on a LWB transit sized van for £9 per hour, I haven't looked into it but I suspect that one condition is that you buy something from B & Q
  15. "Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

    You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

    This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test."

    Have just seen your edit, Witsend .......

    I wouldn't have said so; some people in rural areas have to travel a fair distance to get to a MOT testing facility.
  16. Shit busted!
  17. Blackrat

    Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

    Ravers is the ARRSE bike.

Share This Page