Any Channel Islanders - Question about N.I. Number

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by thisbe, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering if there were any serving Channel Islanders on this forum? I am joining BRNC at the end of the month and I have never worked in the UK before so I don't have a National Insurance number. When filling out all the BRNC paperwork I left it blank whenever it asked for an N.I. number, as the college said they would sort it out for me (although they didn't give me any details on how this would be done).

However, I know that normally if you come to the UK to work you have to have a personal interview at a job centre in order to get a number. Does anyone know if the Navy/college can just sort this out for me or will I have to arrange getting one myself? I thought I would ask on here before pestering the college about it again (particularly if there are any CI residents out there). Many thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya,

Not from the Channel Islands, however: assuming the criteria for the Channel Islands is the same as those resident in the Isle of Man, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to join the service to contact the DWP via Job Centre Plus & Obtain a National Insurance Number.

It may well be that BRNC can assist, however there is the potential for delay in being paid your wages & if you can arrange it beforehand it's one less thing to worry about.

3. Hi!
    Which Island are you from...?
    Im from Guernsey and am going to AIB on 10th Dec.
    They kept asking me for mine too and didnt seem to understand that i didnt have one!
    So if anyone does know...thats would help me out too!

Nat