Any AFCO folk can tell us how the recruitment of ex-regulars is going?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Uncle_Albert, Oct 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If this is something that shouldn't be discussed, please just tell me to get back in my box :)

I'm interested in how the recruitment of ex-regulars is going. As I understand it, gobbling up recent ex-regulars was one of the key means of achieving the planned massive increase in the size of the RNR. I was always a little dubious, on grounds I won't go into now but could do if it's worth a discussion, but the only way to know is to get the actual evidence from the recruiters. So how's it going?

I appreciate that armed forces recruitment could well be the kind of thing that's considered classified, so happy to be told to shut up.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From my perspective, whilst not necessarily representative nationally, we seem to be receiving an increase in applications to join the RNR from people with former regular service. Whether this is due to contacting ex-matelots by letter, I've no idea, but typically the bulk of applicants seem to be those who served less than 5 or 6 years, typically left as AB's and are now in an established civilian job and over the age of 40.
  3. Now that is interesting. Is it usually the case that they did their 5 or 6 years when much younger, leaving in their mid-twenties? If so, it's interesting that they're now 15 years down the line and fancy getting back into their eights (or rather, trying to squeeze into their eights which seem to have mysteriously shrunk over the last 15 years :p )
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the bulk of them, whatever their age, usually left the mob ten or more years ago. We get very few applications from those who've only recently left. It may well be the RNR gets direct transfers from those actually in the process of leaving the RN (the AFCO doesn't have vision of them), but I suspect it ain't many.
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If they've left the mob and had kids, 15 years down the line they've got the freedom and flexibility to join the RNR which they wouldn't have with little ones.
    • Like Like x 1