any AETs

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bryan, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i would like to know what aircraft you prefer to work on and what one you chose to work on, advantages and disadvantages of each aircraft if you could :)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest there are going to be few options once AETs start joining again.

Fixed-wing is out for the time being & the seaking is just about "time served" also. It really boils down to a choice of two, in realistic terms.

Having visited Sultan last week & had a look at the new phase 2a training course, those joining will be delighted to hear that training will involve far more "hands-on".

In other words rather than doing classroom theory about routine maintenance operations, the trainee will spend far more time out in the hangar learning the theory & practical actually on the aircraft. Written tests, whilst still part of the curriculum, will be replaced to a large extent by practical exams/assessments "in-situ" on the aircraft itself.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm sure operational Aircrew and SMCs will be pleased to hear that too... :wink:
  4. Thank goodness the nozzer AET Scrotes will never ever have hands on a Martin Baker again :D :D
  5. sounds good to me! cant wait
  6. I was a Pinky (Air Fitter) with a Seat Qual before i got cross dressed to AV!!!! :D Now thats dangerous!!!
  7. Bloody Hell, that is dangerous..... me and Slim would never ever work with you ,on a Cab :roll: Now where is that Bombhead??? i need the seat out :p
  8. Yep, I'm part of the new AET course at Sultan the guinea pigs :wink: Just put my drafts in on monday, you get to choose Yeovilton - SK mk4, Lynx Culdrose - Seaking mk6, Merlin mk1. Best way to choose is to ask when you get here or online research. I've chose Merlins.
  9. :roll: Think you will find the good old Sea King is all but history now :cry: and the only choice is Merlin or Lynx :( end of Now here are some proper Sea Kings :p
  10. Just think, we were sat in the same room :lol:

The new course is not pleasant at all. A lot of people have been failing exams because it's been mixed up so drastically. It seems gash.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Jeez, good job I wasn't aware as there's probably a rule about not nutting a trainee somewhere or other :lol:

As to my ID, I was the young, good looking blokey amongst a sea of grey- haired older chaps. There was a slack-handful of green bereted chaps within our midst (a couple of them RN Commandos) & we lined-out in the hangar behind some of the phase-two's to join in for the two-minute silence.
  12. Were you the one that was sat scranning a Yorkie or a Drifter...or another form of chocolate bar?
  13. Ninja_Stoker

No, my body is a temple, don't touch the stuff.

If you saw a guy necking a tin of Tennents Extra at stand-easy whilst asking the Booties for a scrap, you'd be nearer. :wink:
  14. haha, fair enough. I was the handsome, Polish looking AET that was sat at the table near the door munching chicken on a stick and a milkybar.
  15. its my understanding that when your an AET your either attatched to ship or squadron, is it only the seaking that is attatched to squadron and goes to afghan etc
  16. "Junglie" squadrons aka the CHF go to afghanistan they're seakings & lynx
  17. you have to do extra training for that though dont you? the marine based training?? are they the only 2 attached to squadron?
  18. not sure julie, wait for zoidberg he's mk4 seaking so he'll know more
  19. Ninja_Stoker

There is categorically no requirement for AETs to undergo All Arms Commando Course in order to join a Junglie Squadron (CHF) working within 3 Commando Brigade.

It is sometimes possible, for blokes that can be spared, to undergo the All Arms Commando Course & become Royal Navy Commandos however those that do will not be routinely employed in the frontline Commando role & will still be employed in their primary role - ie: Air Engineering.