Any advice please

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by Carlsmith, Sep 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys I have posted before I was going to join had my start date but backed out last minute. I think I may have made a mistake I didn't like the idea of taking a 10k paycut I currently enjoy my job but think I'll have a better life in the rn.
    Can anyone tell me why they joined , how long after basic did the get promoted and why the rn life is the best ? Thanks in advance

2. Re: 'Any Advice Please'

Hello CS

Ignoring the specific questions, Grasshopper, life presents an almost continuous stream of choices.

Back on 16th April this year you had a joining date of 1st May but were troubled with bleeding gums - Was it those or the drop of £10k which caused you to chose to bail out at almost the last minute, whilst probably denying a keener recruit that entry date to boot?

Each life choice involves a commitment and leads towards a direction, not always a destination.

At your age (still 22 plus?) I do not believe that should expect the (limited audience) at RR to offer up their own positive experiences (otherwise they wouldn't be at RR) of the RN to sway you in any way. Those on their way to joining the RN who use RR very rarely re-appear here in their early years.

If you have not already been made aware of how to resurrect your application your original AFCO is your first port of call.

The only advice I'd offer is to suggest that, with your family/nearest/dearest, you carefully re-examine your original reasons for applying and then make your career choices based on your own options rather than be swayed by anyone here.

Bonne Chance and Goodnight .

• Like Like x 3
  3. it obviously a big decision. the grass is always greener on the otherside, you cant make a perfect decision.

4. I'll give you some advice @Carlsmith , don't take advice from someone who hasn't even joined yet @daedalus345

• Like Like x 2
  5. my advice was about general decision making....

6. There are two perfectly good reasons not to join the RN in that sentence and on the basis of little or no information you assume you will have a better life if you do. We all fancy a change from time to time but mainly because we are unhappy with our lot or need more money but you are seeking to do the opposite and frankly I'm puzzled. Top marks for seeking advice but ultimately only you know all your circumstances and can take the giant leap into the unknown. Good luck with whatever you decide but don't let your heart rule your head.

7. Not sure it is £15k as not seen the apparent Din yet! Will have a look if I get a chance tomorrow.

8. If genuine this might be well be the tipping point for the OP, @Carlsmith

9. ....but that wasn't the question that the OP asked.

10. Thankyou everyone for your replies I think most of you are right about only I know.
    Does anyone know if I will have to start the whole joining process again or will I be given another start date?
    I think I'll call my Afco next week and speak to them once again thanks for your time.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Horses for courses.

'Travel' was my stock answer whenever a disinterested inspecting officer enquired. I'd probably now add job satisfaction, adventure, pension, adventurous training opportunities, friends for life, transferable skills, kudos, virtually non-stop laughter and most importantly...free socks.

I was advanced to Leading Rate just two years after joining when a killick stoker obligingly fell down a ladder and broke his leg the day I joined the ship. Petty Officer, six years from joining the Navy, Chief Petty Officer five years later (1993) and quick as a flash, still a Chief 23 years later and just starting to get the hang of it.

12. How come you didn't go for your warrent?

13. Cheers ninja I think the pension is the most desired I think I quit my job too early 7 weeks before I started raliegh. I believe I had too much time on my hands and panicked which is why I withdrew I believe. Now I'm back to work which I enjoy its just the humdrum lifestyle I hate I've had the week off and I've done nothing apart from pub and watching crap telly I want more from life and I want to travel so I am going to call the Afco next week and restart my application.
    I'm a hard worker with great time keeping and won't leave the house with unironed clothe so navy life should be good haha

14. How do I change my username ninja?

15. Ninja_Stoker

I did but there is a deep talent pool, more prominent or deserving candidates than me and limited opportunities available. Such is life, promotion is not a right nor the reason I enjoy my job.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Just use the contact us link at the foot of the page and ask the site admins to change your username. Remember to stipulate the username you want.

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Pike would be suitable ;)

• Like Like x 1