Any advice on IgA Nephropathy- a kidney problem

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rmAET, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My younger brother is a joiner and has just been made redundant, along with lots of others on his site. He is interested in a career in the forces and as I am joining the navy on 5th oct I have pushed him towards the navy.

However he has a condition called IgA Nephropathy, it is controlled by blood pressure tablets (dont ask me why, pretty strange) tablets and doesnt cause him any problems.

would his condition bar him from entering? angry_doc, this could be one for you me thinks.

any other advice would be great.

2. From what i know about that condition, it can lead to kidney failure, blood in urine and loss of protien at an alarming rate.

I dont know how this crosses over to entry requirements etc, as you rightly say, probably getting one of the guys in the know here to answer.

3. Hi,

From what I know, I would say that it is very doubtful that any of the armed services would take him. Our guidance notes say the following:-

Unsuitable conditions

Kidney Disorders - Any ongoing Kidney Desease

The details I can see on IgA Nephropathy are as follows:-

IgA nephropathy (IgAN, also known as Berger's disease) is a kidney disease, which affects the glomerulus. Glomeruli are the tiny blood filters where urine is made. IgA nephropathy is the Commonest "glomerulonephritis" (inflammation of the glomerulus) found in the developed countries of the world. IgA is short for immunoglobulin A, an antibody which usually helps the body to fight infections and toxins (poisons) encountered in the gut and the lungs. In IgA nephropathy, IgA is deposited in the glomerulus and sometimes goes on to cause problems. Although much research is trying to fnd out why, it is still not understood why IgA is deposited in the kidneys and why it only sometimes goes on to cause problems.

So I would say that will bar him from entry.

If he wants to know for sure, get him to pop into his nearest AFCO and they will be able to check with their local AFCO Medical examiner

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

4. Sorry - chronic conditions like that are simply not compatible with Service life.

In fact, in general terms, any medical condition which is chronic* is unlikely to be compatible with Service life.

* Chronic: a condition which is long-lasting or recurrent. It refers to the speed of onset and course of a condition, and says nothing at all about it's severity (eg. "I've got chronic back pain" means 'I have had back pain for ages' and not 'I have really bad back pain').

5. onDepends on the severity - my missus was in the navy for 8 years before we bred. She had IgA nephropathy and even flew for a time at portland SAR. Depends on type and severity of the symptoms! angry doc - you should know better!!!

6. Underwaterdoc

Au contraire...

We are referring to assessment for entry, not discussing management of conditions diagnosed after entry.

Also, JSP 346 Para 0326 states that blood pressure must be normal - which it isn't in this case as medication is required!

I believe the term I am looking for is "wind yer neck in".

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

8. Alas I am in a similar position to your brother; I have a glomerular disease as well, and despite the good offices of Ninja looking it up for me won't be able to join either. I am a mature student in the URNU and was hoping to join as a Logistics Officer on graduation. I've pursued this as far as is humanly possible, and as the angrydoc says, there's no chance in any of the service arms.

It's bad news but you have to see it from their point of view. Courses of glomerular disease can be fairly benign (though many are not!) but in any event people with such conditions are much more vulnerable to acute renal failure than the general population, leaving aside issues like protein leaks and dependence on ACE inhibitors etc. Sorry I couldn't say anything different to the other guys, just wanted to give you the view of someone who's been in that position.

9. the issue with blood pressure tablets are not because he has high blood pressure they are a means of controlling the loss of protein into the urine. I am not sure how vital it is that he takes these every day.

10. Chances are if it wasnt diagnosed , before entry you could still Serve 12 years in the Andrew. and the Docs and all the medicals still couldnt identify your condition! and be aicrew like someone i know :thumright: Ps Blood pressure normal :thumright: