Any advice chaps?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Guzzler, Jul 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just using this as one of several avenues to gain some information, please excuse any vagueness, and I will be further using google and talking to my Royal oppo in a couple of days, so as I say, just one of a few avenues.

One of my work roles is that of 'social inclusion' which, broadly speaking, means getting vulnerable people (even that has become a non-PC term it would appear!) doing things. Mostly we are keen to involve them in joint activities; days out, quizzes, bloody bingo etc. but some people, understandably, prefer a slightly closer one-to-one involvement (if any at all).

Today a colleague asked me to look at what we could do for a former Royal Marine who, though a likeable chap, is not keen on being involved in large social gatherings. I understand (new role for me, hence the use of the word 'understand' rather than 'know') that some organisations provide a sort of befriending scheme for people in former Royal's position (eg former Royals willing to do a bit of charidee work and spend a little time with him).

All I'm really asking for is a pointer in the right direction. I assume that RMCTF/RNRMC would be a starting point, but does anyone have any other advice or ideas they could share with me please?

This isn't a begging letter by the way, I do as much 'hands on' as I am permitted, but my job is more to help facilitate and provide voluntary workers to carry out the specific tasks - shocking I know, but that's governments for you.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. There are organisations such as the salvation army and so forth but they often tend to only provide the services of their volunteers if the gentleman or lady are housebound and cannot leave their homes. Sounds strange but have you enquired in the local library?

Edit: not as the library may offer him some company, but as they are run by the council workers often have information regarding both council funded and charity ran things like this, or know who to ask to find out.

Edit edit: seems you work for the gov so may know council things. A barrier i found was it is actually hard to volunteer and there seems to be a shortage. Hopefully someone with specific veterans knowledge will be able to help you thus him for you.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. Guzzler
    Get in touch with your local RMA, they should be more than happy to do one on one visits, and if your former Royal Marine wants to join he will re-find the Corps family and can be as involved or uninvolved as he likes, but there will be a phone call/visit on the cards often enough to see he is doing ok etc.

Best of luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks Rachel. I'm aware of what you have suggested in first para, not looked in the library as yet (only tasked with this today) but it's the specific former RM that I'm looking at - we have the basics, I'm just trying to fine tune them.

I work for a private company, and that fact alone presents problems as many volunteers are understandably unwilling to work for a profit making company (I would be), though this aspect of our work is non-profit. It's a tough one.

Ahhh, privatisation - the way ahead Thatchbitch.

Thanks for input.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Excellent tentoes, just the sort of info I was looking/hoping for.

Many thanks.
  6. I remembered seeing this and thought I'd pop it on your post for public ref;

Sixteen years ago, the Royal Marines realised that issues generated by exposure to traumatic events needed to be addressed. As a result, a robust mechanism was put in place by the Royal Marines to help manage the adverse effects of traumatic stress among personnel. The model employed was called ‘Traumatic Stress Management’ which was abbreviated to the single word; ‘TRiM’.

The objective of TRiM is to diminish the effects of stress and deter issues from becoming a long-term threat to an individual’s health and their ability to cope. TRiM was not developed as a form of therapy or treatment but allowing people to process their emotions has distinct therapeutic benefits. The key players in the TRiM process are the “Practitioners”. They are not counsellors or therapists but fellow members of the ship, squadron or commando & provide mentoring support for their buddies & ship mates. The TRiM Practitioner is trained to recognise the signs and symptoms of stress and give mentoring advice to individuals on coping strategies and how to better manage their issues.

It is possibly at this juncture that you are asking the question “what has this got to do with me as a Member of the RMA? The simple answer to that perfectly legitimate question is that the RMA are considering using a bespoke adaptation of the TRiM system to support the existing & excellent RMA Welfare system. The back cloth to employing TRiM for Veterans (T4V) is that currently in the UK, there are in excess of 850 separate Charitable Welfare organisations aimed at supporting the Service Veterans. In addition there are 12 NHS separate Veteran support projects in the planning stage plus there are a further twelve other regional NHS Departments promoting new projects. The challenge will be to accurately identify the resource and access it. Link these factors with the presumption that in coming years there will be increasing numbers of Ex-Royal Marines joining the RMA fold, whom like their

predecessors, have faced challenging times both whilst serving with the Colours and possibly since re-joining civilian life.

To ensure that the RMA is best placed assist our current & future Members, we are running an initial TRiM Practitioners Course at CTCRM over the weekend of 31 May & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 2013. The Course lasts two days & is structured to train 18 RMA delegates. The Course syllabus consists of presentations, role play & discussion. The subjects will be taught by experienced RM TRiM Instructors. Areas that will be covered will consist of: interviewing techniques, PTSD, stress management, effects of psychological trauma, bereavement issues & sign posting to external support agencies. At the end of the Course you will be presented with a: ‘TRiM Certificate of Attendance & Competence’.

Introducing him to the local branch, or National branch will put him back on our "map" (If you like) as they can inform the local branch or National branch members in his area, he may even find some long lost oppo's!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I will send you a PM with some further insight guzzler
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tentoes, sincere thanks for your input here. I thought I may get a hint somewhere, but you comments appear very valuable and I'm sure will help us help this chap.

Also gives me an excuse to log in to RR at work!

Thanks again.