Antiques Storehouse

Discussion in 'History' started by jambosun, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was walking to Victory Gate today when I noticed that the museum shop/gallery has become an antiques shop. I must admit that when I popped in I thought it was going to be all replica tat but this is the real deal.. It is full of naval and maritime antiques including old ship models, crests, some weaponry (stuff that wet blobby might recognise but I didn't), lots of original pictures as well as prints, old silver cigarette cases, cap tallys etc etc. It's even got a tailplane from looks like a German WWI aircraft!

I would like to point out that I am in no way involved with this shop; I just happened to pop in and thought some of you might like it. They are just starting up so most stuff isn't priced up yet but they said if people were interested in anything in particular then will take your details and if something comes in then they will let you know. (I'm looking for things connected with HMS MANXMAN and HMS GABRIEL). I also imagine if you have anything you might want to sell then they would be interested. I've got the name and e-mail of the manager if anybody wants to PM me for it but they also have a website at www.antiques-storehouse.co.uk. Like the shop this is just starting up so is very basic at the moment.

Even if you are not massively into antiques it's worth popping in the next time you are passing through Pompey Dockyard.
    Jambosun

2. Thanks Jambosun for the kind review! We are still slowly moving in and pricing up. The part you saw will be around a third of the floor area used eventually. The hardware is getting heavier - a bazooka just arrived and a vickers machinegun is due this week......

And yes, the tailplane is the real article - off a WW1 Fokker DR1.

3. So what's happened to the Museum and all the displays that were in those buildings?

4. They are still there in Storehouse 10 and 11, I took over Storehouse 9 which has been mostly vacant for a considerable time. Cheers.

5. Any chance they are selling off the two brass canons and the ships bell from the G Spot. I quite fancy those outside my porch! And unlike the RN Museum, I'll polish them weekly! :razz:

6. WEEKLY ???.......get yer 'at !!!

7. Brass cannons, oh yes please. However I think they are currently outside my reach! Saw a single brass signal cannon at auction last week but it went for £5,000. Till then, I will just have to dabble in small arms.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh, be careful. Saddam Hussein once said that - and look how much trouble it got him in! 8O :oops: :lol:

9. Er does Pusser know that all this kit is being sold off? Still I suppose they've got to pay for the Astutes somehow.
    Vickers MGs and Bazookas, my god man the Warsaw Pact must be drooling, ..er "Time for NZB's Meds thank you nurse!".
    NZB