anti war campaigner/deserter hands back veterans badge

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Rigsby, Nov 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Didn't know that the Veterans Badge was classed as a 'medal' ?

I'll wear mine at my next do I think !!

:wink:

2. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

A bit of a non-story.

I have no idea why he deserted when told he was going back for a second tour - if he felt morally obliged to do so in protest or whether he was scared is something that only he knows and I do not intend to judge

Either way, he is entitled to his opinion and I must confess I share his wish that we could extricate ourselves sooner rather than later. What he does with his medals, badges, pins etc is entirely up to him and I don't buy into the Oxygen Thief bit at all.

If his actions achieve something positive then good luck to him, if they don't then, provided his intentions were pure, "bad luck - keep trying"

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Perhaps the guy would have a little more credibility if he submitted notice to quit after his first trip, rather than staging a protest after being notified of an operational deployment, in accordance with the Terms of Service, which does not permit retrospective conscientious objection.

You take the pay, you go where you're sent. Twas ever thus.

4. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Not denying that and I agree that he did it all wrong and not iaw the "contract" he signed, I just think it is a non-story.

5. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

And you're right - Journos need to wake up a bit - the hint was in the word "badge"

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, agreed. He does not deserve the oxygen of publicity.

In a previous statement, following his release from prison in July, he claimed he was heartened by words of support from fellow prisoners. Doubtless Fred West felt the same when conversing with like-minded individuals in prison also.

Surely if he served previously in Afghanistan he should be handing back his OSM?

7. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

I have nothing against anyone being anti war. War is not conducive to staying alive.

What I am against is spineless tossers who through his own inadequacies as a trained fighting person cannot simply do what he was trained to do. Surely he must have had anti war feelings before he enlisted. Why waste every ones time during training if he even thought the job was not for him.

Drama queen first class who simply wants his five minutes of fame. Oxygen thief. At least by him handing back his veterans badge makes mine more credible.

8. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

I saw the scruffy twat on BBC breakfast news. Justification for deserting his comrades before deployment is a hard story to sell to ex service personal.
    Mind you the BBC and the liberal media will try to lionise the git!
    Roofs

9. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

He's a cnut

10. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Can the veterans badge be mounted court style?

11. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Don't see why not .... I've an old RN tie somewhere, cut it to medal ribbon size, stick it on the bar .... and Voila !! (practising my froggie for when we get signed up totally to the 4th Reich !!)

:)

12. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Always had a lot of respect for the Conscienscious Objectors of the Great War and WW2. Takes courage to stand for what you believe, however, surely this individual could have gone about this in a more professional manner as Ninja_Stoker suggested

13. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

I can understand conscienscious objectors in WWI because it was an utterly pointless war that Britain only fought in because the French did, because the Russians did, because the Serbs did.

WWII however I can't get my head round. Whatever people's objections to conflict, I can't understand how they could refuse to fight in the face of the threat from the Nazis. I'm sure they had their reasons and would be able to put accross a credible arguement for them but I just can't understand or respect it myself.

14. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

If he wants to return his badge fair enough it's his business.But why does it have to be in the glare of the spotlights of the media.Do I care :?: Not in the slightest. :roll:

15. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Riggers,

This *@~$=~|?* is probably googling himself, even as we speak.

As the originator of this thread you are supplying him with further oxygen for as long as his name remains within your thread title.

Is there any reason why you cannot do the decent thing & delete his moniker now, please?

By doing so you should thus remove this RR thread from halfway down page 14 of the far too many Google results for his name.

16. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

He is a cock, however.

At least he had the minerals to stick by what he believed in and do something about it. I know of plenty of people who, despite disagreeing with the Afghanistan conflict still went for the pay.

Does that mercenary attitude make them any better?

As for him being a coward, at least he's been out there. That's one more trip than most who slag him off.

There were better ways to go about his objection, but what he did takes some nuts.

17. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Oh and this person can add two further failures to his military career.

1. He states that he went to 'prison' but the official Army website contradicts his incarceration:

<< The MCTC is an establishment that provides corrective training for those servicemen and women sentenced to periods of detention; it is not a prison.>>

2. By his latest acts he has shown himself incapable of responding to the 'corrective training' element of MCTC.

After his track record it's a good job that he has returned his Veterans Badge; but I am sure that there are many who would have willingly accepted theirs, had their lives not ended somewhat prematurely.

18. Ninja_Stoker

I'd normally agree with most of your observations Monty, however when people go on the trot, the thing that usually brings them around is not the moral aspect, it's the financial one (more later). Avarice, not Cowardice, is the issue.

If the guy truly objected to the conflict, then morally it would surely be hypocritical to continue to draw a wage after the first deployment in the hope of not being re-deployed. No-one made him join the forces unlike those in previous conflicts and there lies the difference. Happy to draw the wage, but not happy to do the job even though eligible to submit notice to quit.

Making a stand after disappearing for several months, being found, cornered, then trying to justify one's actions out of desperation by garnering support from families of the bereaved on the grounds of conscientious objection doesn't take nuts, it takes disrespect & contempt to new levels in the view of many.

A good few years back I had the pleasure of meeting a guy who had done a runner from the Army in 1973. He wanted to "hand himself in" twenty years after living anonymously in UK under an assumed name (tax free for 20 years), he had a fit of conscience. Why? Because he realised he wasn't going to get a state pension. Happily the Army guy who was with me at the time sent him on his lame way with something to remember.

19. Re: anti war campaigner Joe Glenton hands back Medal

Valid point NS. He may have been wrestling with a few conscience issues, could have been scared to tell his peers / superiors. We don't know.

I don't like the bloke and I'm not sticking up for him, but war does funny things to people's heads.