Anti narcotics

Seadog

War Hero
Recently, APT(N) has been an RFA with an RN Flight, some RM for 'precision shooting' and a USCG detachment doing the dull boarding and searching.

Like the man above says, Counter Narcotics is a whole ship commitment .

Taztiff

War Hero
USCG detachment doing the dull boarding and searching
We used to have (back when I was in!) a USCG detachment on board when we did drugs patrols in the Windies so that we moved from a military role to a police role when going for an intercept.
This included dropping the white ensign and flying the USCG flag therefore nominally becoming a USCG asset.

Sumo

War Hero
We used to have (back when I was in!) a USCG detachment on board when we did drugs patrols in the Windies so that we moved from a military role to a police role when going for an intercept.
This included dropping the white ensign and flying the USCG flag therefore nominally becoming a USCG asset.
Looks like blame avoidance, fly a septic flag, so it's their fault when it all goes pare shaped?

Waspie

War Hero
Narcotics!!!!
Bugga! Thought I’d logged onto a Yank navy forum!!!
Whats happed to plain simple ‘drugs’?

Sumo

War Hero
Narcotics!!!!
Bugga! Thought I’d logged onto a Yank navy forum!!!
Whats happed to plain simple ‘drugs’?
Obviously too many Septic crime fighting/police programmes.
he will talking Dollars and Cents instead of Pounds, Shillings& Pence, what's the world coming to?

Seadog

War Hero
Looks like blame avoidance, fly a septic flag, so it's their fault when it all goes pare shaped?
I’ve seen the ensigns of the RIBS changed to reflect who is ‘coming at ya’, NEVER the Ensign of the Warship or Auxiliary hosting.

Taztiff

War Hero
I’ve seen the ensigns of the RIBS changed to reflect who is ‘coming at ya’, NEVER the Ensign of the Warship or Auxiliary hosting.
Lancaster, 94 in Windies.
Not so much as 'coming at ya', more to observe the legalities of a 'police action'. Drug interdiction is a grey area when using military assets. US Coastguard, although heavily armed, are not strictly military. They therefore have powers of arrest which a military force (including US Navy) don't have.
I remember the skipper making the point of saying that we moved to being the most heavily armed US Coastguard cutter there was. But he did like to be flash!

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Lancaster, 94 in Windies.
. US Coastguard, although heavily armed, are not strictly military. powers of arrest which a military force (including US Navy) don't have.
!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the USCG an arm of the US military?
https://www.work.uscg.mil/
"As one of the five Armed Services of the United States, the Coast Guard is the only military branch within the Department of Homeland Security."

Taztiff

War Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the USCG an arm of the US military?
https://www.work.uscg.mil/
"As one of the five Armed Services of the United States, the Coast Guard is the only military branch within the Department of Homeland Security."
Very good point. They do have a long reach!! I step back from my 'non-military' statement (I wont bother editing my post - gives something to talk about)!!
From Wiki:
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces[6] and one of the country's seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the U.S. Department of the Navy by the U.S. President at any time, or by the U.S. Congress during times of war. This has happened twice, in 1917, during World War I, and in 1941, during World War II.[7][8]

I think my highlighted section above serves to explain why they are used as anti-drug assets by purely military forces. The website you quoted has a good breakdown of their roles and how it all fits in.
How does the RN law enforcement rules compare? @huwshpis ?

huwshpis

War Hero
@Taztiff, good question. The RN operates under the common law of England and Wales and any legislation currently in force for most of its law enforcement duties, except in relation to fisheries, where the relevant legislation specifically makes every commissioned officer on active duty a British Sea Fisheries Officer for the purpose of enforcing our fisheries laws. I'm not current on this, but DCI's, FTMs or other directives could provide that only certain officers (e.g., Warfare) will be used in this role. This wouldn't prevent, say, an engineer, from exercising the powers in an emergency, but there'd be a big internal investigation afterwards.

So far as drug interdictions in international waters are concerned, the RN will be operating under the UN Law of the Sea Convention, specifically Article 108, which gives nations the right to disrupt the flow of drugs. In exercising its powers, the RN must comply with the law of England and Wales, so far as it has not been overtaken by Art. 108 and customary international law. The powers of arrest under the law of England and Wales have been considerably modified over the last 20 years, but basically, anyone can arrest a person whom they find committing a crime punishable with imprisonment and use such force as is reasonable to do so. If an RN boarding party searches a ship under Art. 108 and finds drugs, they can arrest those responsible.
They then have to deal with them in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, so the Jaunty and his cohorts need to be around.

Taztiff

War Hero
The powers of arrest under the law of England and Wales have been considerably modified over the last 20 years,
Thanks @huwshpis
There you go, my experience was 24 years ago.

Argghhh!! 24 years!! Where it gone?
Might have to ask my lad for an update. He was born whilst I was on said Windies trip in 94, last year he was serving on HMS Monmouth when they made a big drugs bust out the Gulf area.