Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antarctic "Rescue"

D

Deleted 493

Is it just me or this just seem a jolly jape for a bunch of quite excitable and rather wealthy eco-tourists, rather than a life-or-death rescue operation, worthy of national news coverage? BBC News - Antarctic rescue of Akademik Shokalskiy ship completed

No idea mate. Not as though people who know the Antarctic have been called upon in the past to rescue tourists put in the mouth of danger by those who don't know the Antarctic, is it?

[video=youtube;EAg9_ygg8NE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAg9_ygg8NE[/video]

levers

Last edited by a moderator:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
A group of people concerned about global warming, take a fossil burning ship to the Antartic, then have to rescued by a paraffin parrot (not noted for their eco credentials) and two other ships. Have I missed something here?

D

Deleted 493

A group of people concerned about global warming, take a fossil burning ship to the Antartic, then have to rescued by a paraffin parrot (not noted for their eco credentials) and two other ships. Have I missed something here?

I used to have great fun cornering said scientists, usually 'hard over' protecting their research grants from BAS and the University of Whatever regarding their proclamations about how fossil fuels were harming our precious world, yet the energy powering their laptops, providing the ice for their G&Ts in our mess, making the warm, dehumidified air they breathe, allowing their laundry to be washed and pressed, providing the electro hydraulic power for boat winches and more importantly giving them safe transit across Drake Passage is all provided by two disgustingly large and CO/N2O/CO2/CH4-unfriendly Bergen BRG-8 diesel generators downstairs in the engine room. One such 'presentation' showed that upward curve in global warming that is in the film An Inconvenient Truth. They couldn't explain what we were doing right however, where somewhere in that upward slope there is a small downturn in warming. My take was, "concentrate on that, find out what we did right, then all your snags are over ... you think?" No. It's all down to dirty diesels, and the like.

Amazing.

levers

I'm enjoying the irony of these muppets getting trapped in the ice whilst looking for signs of melting ice shelfs etc due to global warming. :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
What amused me was that besides it being a "no news" item, the BBC reported the "scientists" carried on with their experiments - recording the temperature & checking salinity. Technical stuff.

soleil

War Hero
Is it just me or this just seem a jolly jape for a bunch of quite excitable and rather wealthy eco-tourists, rather than a life-or-death rescue operation, worthy of national news coverage? BBC News - Antarctic rescue of Akademik Shokalskiy ship completed

One of the reasons for the national news coverage, I suspect, Ninja, is that news-wise it's been a really quiet couple of weeks - there's normally a few substantial news stories over Christmas, but this year has been exceptionally quiet and so this story made its way up the pecking order; in other years, it would have just featured briefly.

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
One of the reasons for the national news coverage, I suspect, Ninja, is that news-wise it's been a really quiet couple of weeks - there's normally a few substantial news stories over Christmas, but this year has been exceptionally quiet and so this story made its way up the pecking order; in other years, it would have just featured briefly.

Really? What about Cornwall being washed into the sea?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
We're still clinging on Jaggers but I wouldn't like to be the upper deck trot in this weather! Seems to be making the news now though.

RabC

MIA
If only the tree huggers onboard knew that during the Northern Hemisphere Summer we use the Academic for Oil exploration, I have spent a few weeks on her. Nice accommodation but crap food,

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Maybe the food was the cause of the "rescue operation". Other than the fact the ship was stuck, there appears to be little other reason to evacuate it & leave the crew behind. Presumably in the Arctic summer, the same clowns are trying to forcibly board the same vessel as Greenpeace loons.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Did we have bad weather last night Wrecks?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I don't know ExJ, it's not been too chipper today and there were tree's down on the way in this morning.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I don't know ExJ, it's not been too chipper today and there were tree's down on the way in this morning.

Wind just picked a tad. Something from next doors garden just shot past the kitchen window.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Do we need to send an aid package to Cornwall, following the bad weather?

I was thinking of knitting some six-fingered gloves and pointy balaclavas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: British Antarctic Territory Government website MoD News 0
BFRS Electronics Engineer - Cambridge (Antarctic) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Protector Saves MS Fram Cruise Ship In Antarctic" The Fleet 4
MoD_RSS Prince William honours Service personnel's Antarctic race Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Crew Help Douse Antarctic Research Station Fire" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS HMS Protector cuts through Antarctic ice Current Affairs 0
soleil Western Morning News: "Chance To See Antarctic Patrol Vessel In Dartmouth" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS HMS Scott Returns From The Antarctic The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS HMS Gloucester assists British Antarctic Survey Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
Waspie Jack to the rescue! Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS MOD extends contract for NATO submarine rescue missions MoD News 0
Waspie Dragon to the rescue Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Highways England flies to the rescue of animal charity when tyres dumped next to A45 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £100 million rescue package for England’s zoos and aquariums MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic officers swoop to rescue ducklings stranded on M1 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Gurkhas and UK Government rescue mission to help stranded Brits in Nepal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government pledges £16 million to rescue Rugby League MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second generation UK search and rescue aviation programme (UKSAR2G) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Sea Rescue Heroes receive £125k UK Government funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary visits Ferryside rescue team to celebrate £40,000 funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One of the oldest Search and Rescue teams in the UK among winners of vital £1 million funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Drones could form key part of next generation of UK search and rescue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator opens inquiry into The Retreat Animal Rescue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dramatic helicopter rescue in Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rescue shield awarded to Shetland-based coastguard teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RFA Mounts Bay conducts successful casualty evacuation and search and rescue mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister publishes review of the UK search and rescue helicopter service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic officers fly to the rescue of distressed buzzard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Distress alert helps HM Coastguard coordinate yacht rescue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Wreck of Dunkirk rescue boat removed from River Lark MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nomination for Coastguard Rescue Teams who saved a life on St Kilda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Rescue heroes given £1 million for life-saving equipment MoD News 0
janner Coastguard rescue Current Affairs 2
Stirlin Wafu's to the rescue. The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Press release: British naval team comes to assistance of family in search and rescue mission MoD News 0
dapperdunn Swimmer of the watch v Rescue swimmer The Quarterdeck 4
M Rescue Swimmer versus Swimmer of the Watch? The Fleet 17
Wightsparker RN to the rescue..... Current Affairs 25
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
Wightsparker Falklands rescue Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Enterprise and HMS Richmond rescue over 540 migrants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Bulwark conducts largest rescue to date MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Gifting of search and rescue equipment to Syrian civil defence teams MoD News 0
R Help required for Rolfington Rescue to support veterans Charity 7
Der Alte UK Search & Rescue Capability Current Affairs 16
sgtpepperband Recruiting: Scottish Fire and Rescue Service The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil YouTube - British Pathe - Air Sea Rescue The Fleet Air Arm 19
Ninja_Stoker Another unnecessary "Rescue"? Current Affairs 22
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Culdrose Crew Describe Night Rescue Of Fishermen During Storm" The Fleet Air Arm 11