Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Answer me these questions three...

GJT59

Midshipman
Well, several actually!

Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world... or is it a case of submerge for months then go back to UK?

How is the camaraderie on board?

Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???

Would I be mad to consider such a career move?

Are you, in fact, all mad???

'Crab air'

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
GJT59 said:
Well, several actually!

Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world... or is it a case of submerge for months then go back to UK?

Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???

'Crab air'
To answer your questions shipmate, try these:

Q. Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world...
A. Only through a periscope.
Q.How is the camaraderie on board?
A. Hot bunking is very cosy shippers.
Q. Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???
A. Welded to the jetty man. Definitely.
Q. Would I be mad to consider such a career move?
A. No need for madness, you get volunteered these days.
Q. Are you, in fact, all mad???
A. Why, are you transferring from the Taleban?

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
GJT50 wrote: Are you, in fact, all mad???

If you really need to ask, then you're probably not right for life in boats.

SF

Bongobilly

Midshipman

Depends what type of Boats you are on :lol: I saw a fair bit on Hunter Killers!!!!!!!

Excellent, I only met one man in 20 years I would have gladly gone over the wall for!!!!!

Again depends on what Boat and what rate you are

Must agree with previous post, if you have to ask, are you cut out!!!!!

Of course, arent you!!!!!!

Got to be said, if you join as a Loggie you'll enjoy the best 2 years or so of your career on Boats (not to mention the pay aspects!). The comaraderie is excellent - between all ranks/rates and branches - and you do manage your leave as you want (especially if you go to a Bomber: off crew? marvellous!). If you join as a dabber you get all of that, but go from sea appointment to sea appointment in the search of the elusive SMCC, not spend too much time at home (you'll either be at sea or keeping duties), and be bored rigid pushing a periscope around and "dotting the spot" for the first 4 years or so of your career until you become a Watch Leader.

As for the last question - are you, in fact, not mad for transferring from a nice easy crushy RAF job!?! I'd say so!

Got to be said, if you join as a Loggie you'll enjoy the best 2 years or so of your career on Boats (not to mention the pay aspects!). The comaraderie is excellent - between all ranks/rates and branches - and you do manage your leave as you want (especially if you go to a Bomber: off crew? marvellous!). If you join as a dabber you get all of that, but go from sea appointment to sea appointment in the search of the elusive SMCC, not spend too much time at home (you'll either be at sea or keeping duties), and be bored rigid pushing a periscope around and "dotting the spot" for the first 4 years or so of your career until you become a Watch Leader.

As for the last question - are you, in fact, not mad for transferring from a nice easy crushy RAF job!?! I'd say so!

I was an ex skimmer who got drafted to Bombers and I will say the Camaradarie is uncomparable to any other service or even skimmers.
Im still in touch with a few of them now,and Ive been out 20 years!!

Plenty of time off on Bombers,especially Off Crew,but you wont see sod all!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS From Parliament to Pembrokeshire: Welsh Secretary to answer Welsh Questions from Wales for first time in history MoD News 0
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS News story: FCO Minister to answer your questions on Bahrain via twitter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: FCO Minister to answer questions on Sri Lanka via Twitter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO Minister to answer questions on Syria via Twitter MoD News 0
J A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Please delete answer found The Quarterdeck 6
RFA at HMS Raleigh If you want to join the RFA can you answer the following: RFA 14
MoD_RSS News story: Using the power of data science to answer world-wide challenges MoD News 0
tbfyb Please answer asap! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
rn458scc The White Laundry marker question - I think I have the answer..well maybe Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M HMS Raleigh - Looking for an answer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
trelawney126 Ukraines answer to the Tate Modern Diamond Lil's 4
bikerman Need answer quick... Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
W Can you help me answer this? Health & Fitness 4
trelawney126 EU's Answer to Austerity, SPEND, Spend, Spend Current Affairs 3
The_Caretaker British Army Answer Phone Miscellaneous 0
D British Army answer phone message. RR Greatest Threads 4
NotmeChief Dont you hate not getting answer you hoped for. Diamond Lil's 10
deano_navy cant find the answer to this anywhere... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D A Queensland School Answer machine message Diamond Lil's 15
McGrew Any buntings able to answer this piece of trivia? The Fleet 4
W Golden Hello answer Submariners 1
S Tas/Squid answer needed The Gash Barge 1
D Is there an answer...? The Gash Barge 3
D Is is the answer to the manpower shortage? Current Affairs 5
sgtpepperband Jesus has the answer... Diamond Lil's 7
golden_rivet nice answer The Gash Barge 0
O Can i have an answer please Diamond Lil's 92
T Hansard answer on total number of RNR deployed since 2002 Current Affairs 9
brazenhussy Whats the answer???? Diamond Lil's 4
M EYE SIGHT!!!! Some one please help cant find answer for this Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
T RN TRF on CS95's - quick Q - answer by Tue AM appreciated! The Fleet 11
S Early 20s considering a career change to work for the RFA with a few questions! RFA 2
R Mine clearance diver questions Joining the Royal Navy 2
G WW2 service in Royal Navy Questions History 4
L Some questions about the LSO (Trainee) Role ahead of my SIFT Interview RFA 6
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Y Competency questions engineering apprenticeship RFA 0
W Questions about joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Waspie To assist in Joining Questions! Joining the Royal Navy 9
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
L Submariner questions Submariners 58
J Couple Of Questions About Life in RFA RFA 5
T Update and Questions RFA 0
MoD_RSS Questions and Answers to CSSF Call for Proposals MoD News 0
K Role application questions RFA 1
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS UK scientists help NASA answers the questions, 'was there life on Mars?' MoD News 2