Answer me these questions three...

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by GJT59, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, several actually!

Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world... or is it a case of submerge for months then go back to UK?

How is the camaraderie on board?

Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???

Would I be mad to consider such a career move?

Are you, in fact, all mad???

'Crab air'

2. To answer your questions shipmate, try these:

Q. Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world...
    A. Only through a periscope.
    Q.How is the camaraderie on board?
    A. Hot bunking is very cosy shippers.
    Q. Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???
    A. Welded to the jetty man. Definitely.
    Q. Would I be mad to consider such a career move?
    A. No need for madness, you get volunteered these days.
    Q. Are you, in fact, all mad???
    A. Why, are you transferring from the Taleban?

3. GJT50 wrote: Are you, in fact, all mad???

If you really need to ask, then you're probably not right for life in boats.

SF

4. Do personnel on subs get to see much of the world... or is it a case of submerge for months then go back to UK?

Depends what type of Boats you are on :lol: I saw a fair bit on Hunter Killers!!!!!!!

How is the camaraderie on board?
    Excellent, I only met one man in 20 years I would have gladly gone over the wall for!!!!!

Do you get much time in the UK? Do you manage to get your leave allocation in???
    Again depends on what Boat and what rate you are

Would I be mad to consider such a career move?
    Must agree with previous post, if you have to ask, are you cut out!!!!!

Are you, in fact, all mad???
    Of course, arent you!!!!!!

5. Got to be said, if you join as a Loggie you'll enjoy the best 2 years or so of your career on Boats (not to mention the pay aspects!). The comaraderie is excellent - between all ranks/rates and branches - and you do manage your leave as you want (especially if you go to a Bomber: off crew? marvellous!). If you join as a dabber you get all of that, but go from sea appointment to sea appointment in the search of the elusive SMCC, not spend too much time at home (you'll either be at sea or keeping duties), and be bored rigid pushing a periscope around and "dotting the spot" for the first 4 years or so of your career until you become a Watch Leader.

As for the last question - are you, in fact, not mad for transferring from a nice easy crushy RAF job!?! I'd say so!

6. Got to be said, if you join as a Loggie you'll enjoy the best 2 years or so of your career on Boats (not to mention the pay aspects!). The comaraderie is excellent - between all ranks/rates and branches - and you do manage your leave as you want (especially if you go to a Bomber: off crew? marvellous!). If you join as a dabber you get all of that, but go from sea appointment to sea appointment in the search of the elusive SMCC, not spend too much time at home (you'll either be at sea or keeping duties), and be bored rigid pushing a periscope around and "dotting the spot" for the first 4 years or so of your career until you become a Watch Leader.

As for the last question - are you, in fact, not mad for transferring from a nice easy crushy RAF job!?! I'd say so!

7. I was an ex skimmer who got drafted to Bombers and I will say the Camaradarie is uncomparable to any other service or even skimmers.
    Im still in touch with a few of them now,and Ive been out 20 years!!

Plenty of time off on Bombers,especially Off Crew,but you wont see sod all!