Another vetting question...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bluebird79, Sep 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've done quite a lot of research on here and have used the search function (found some really interesting bits and bobs so cheers) but I haven't found the answer to my question so I'm going to risk ridicule by asking...

I'm waiting for security clearance. It's coming up as 'Completed' online but I was sent a huge questionnaire in the post asking for additional information about my finances and my sponsor are yet to be told if I've been granted clearance or not. Vetting would have received my completed questionnaire on 23rd August, my sponsor have rung them and they're not giving anything away.

Q: Can anyone shed any light on to how long this could take or likely outcomes?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally, if you are sent a financial questionnaire (FQ), there are outstanding issues they wish to check.

You must complete it & return it to DVA within 21 days of receipt or they automatically cancel the application.

Unfortunately there's no hurrying-these-things-up once you complete your bit it's in the hands of the gods. If you've already been allocated an entry date, pending SC, it is sometimes possible that your AFCO may request an SC waiver if the "basic checks" are complete. If you're a "re-join" nothing can happen until you have full SC.

3. Thanks Ninja, I have a start date (Sep 22nd) which is rapidly looming hence my shout out for help on here. I know there is nothing I can do from here on in except cross my fingers and/or pray to the God of vetting.

Tense times.

Another Q: I am an Officer in the Cadet Forces (yes, yes - I know) and hold the appropriate clearance for that role. This was done back in 2006 - if I am not given SC on this latest application does that mean that this also holds true for my role with the cadets and I would have to leave as I no longer have SC?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure what "clearance" the CCF or similar actually hold, but would guess it's more likely to be a CRB check or a Counter-Terrorist Check which is not the same as SC. In any case the SC is only valid 12 months if the individual hasn't joined (dunno why).

If the FQ isn't a sticking point, they'll usually grant an SC waiver if it's humanly possible.

5. It's definitely a CRB check in addition to security 'stuff' so perhaps it is a CTC. I thought I'd had an SC for the police late last year but that turned out to be CTC :/

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's odd.

I'm ACF and SC cleared and that lasts for 10 years. Mind you, my commission is TA Class B. Could that be the reason? I'm genuinely curious.

7. I'm TA Class B too. My clearance came through on Friday afternoon after much sweating :/

It may be that ACF commissions don't have as in depth checks? I don't know how it works, vetting is a dark art.

8. Blackrat

Congratulations. By the way, a TA Class B is not an ACF commission. It is the same commission as the PSAO gets at a TA unit.

However, you've missed my point. I'm SC cleared and have been since 2005. I'm also CT cleared and CRB cleared.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Is the VD/NSU thing cleared now too?

10. Blackrat

Nearly. I just need some more cotton wool buds to get the cream in the right spot. Gissa loan of some please wings?

11. So not only are you not a matelot, you're not even a proper pongo? No wonder you don't hang around on ARSSE!

12. I don't believe I have. I also have the same things as you (SC done 2006) and yet still needed a security check for starting employment with the RFA. Im still curious as to the answer to my question about what would have happened to my ACF career if my SC hadn't been granted.

13. Ninja_Stoker

You'd have to ask the ACF. If you didn't get SC for the RN, you would not be able to join.

14. Blackrat

Yes. That's right. I've never served and i've never done an Operational tour on the front line. I'm also not on ARRSE.

Outed.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don't be precious!

16. Blackrat

I wasn't. I was agreeing with you. Jeez.

17. Oh. .

18. Just to close the loop on this one: I got clearance but they are going to recheck my financial situation in 24 months time. All's well that ends well.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Top tip; Don't be tempted to flog any secrets to China to pay back that Wonga loan - you're on what's referred to as 'aftercare reporting'.

20. Lol, I don't have any Wonga loans etc.

Can you explain what that actually means?