Another vetting question advice please!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JayCam, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I am applying for logistics officer and I am anticipating my vetting taking forever due to the fact that I lived in Bahrain, the middle-east for 14 years. I am a british citizen (not dual passport) and my parents and expatriates. My question is: should I get what is known as a "certificate of good conduct" from the police force in Bahrain and will it help speed the vetting process?

Anything else I can do to help it along? I have no criminal record and have never been in any kind of trouble with the law so I am sure my vetting will be fine, just very slow.

J.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I would say that the certificate would be a help if you submit it with your Security Questionnaire (MOD Form 1109).

Just make sure you comprehensively complete all overseas addresses fully. If you've lived overseas during the last 5 years, you may need a residency waiver too.

The reason for the inevitable delay is that it is frequently, (but not always), a delay due to the time it takes overseas security agencies to respond to the Defence Vetting Agency.

3. Thanks Ninja I will go about getting a certificate of good conduct then. Yes I was expecting that the delays would be on the part of the Bahraini police force who are the most disorganised, unprofessional organisation in the world. Could take years...

J.

4. Oh dear - I have a British passport but I grew up in Zambia. To add to the fun I was born in Nairobi, Kenya. The MOD are going to love me!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Welcome!

There will probably be a pause of several "marching paces" whilst the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) get to grips with your background, however don't let it put you off. Obviously you need to get your completed Security Questionnaire in early so as your provisional entry date is not delayed, as it may well need to go via the overseas desk at London AFCO.

Rest assured you're not the first, nor the last with a similar upbringing.

Good Luck!

6. I'm in a similar situation to you. In the last twenty years I have done stints in Saudi, the UAE, Belgium and England. On average moving country every two years and house every year. I asked my careers officer if it would be a problem. As far as he was concerned it wasn't.

On one of the forms I had to fill out they asked for my secondary education. I had to produce a continuation sheet half a page long. he he...

If they want to track where I lived best of luck to them. I'm struggling to remember myself!

I'm applying for warfare officer by the way.

Adam

7. Ninja_Stoker

Hello & welcome Adam.

As stated, just be prepared for the fact your Security Clearance may take a while longer than the average- in other words, get things moving sooner rather than later.

Your Careers Officer is entirely correct- it isn't a problem as far as he's concerned. It's yours mate.

Good luck.

8. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

It may be worth noting the fact that the DVA couldn't organise a run-ashore in a brewery so are very very slow when it comes to sorting out clearances including up to DV so I wouldn't worry too much if it takes them an excessive amount of time.

On a light note, and regarding JayCam's initial post, I was based out in Bahrain for a fair amount of time so am only too aware of the Bahrain Police's extremely high standards of professionalism, diligence and attention to detail. HOW DARE YOU criticise one of the finest police forces in the world :D

For those of you who don't understand how the Bahraini feds work, here's an example.

One of my oppo's was in an RTA (no injuries fortunately) due to a Bahraini national not actually bothering to stop at a roundabout when it wasn't his right of way and stoofed a great big SUV into the size of of my oppo's car. It was blatantly the Bahraini nationals fault however the police reckoned that it was my oppo's fault because if he hadn't been in the country, the accident wouldn't have happened... :roll:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Having not tasked the DVA to organise my runs ashore, I couldn't comment one way or t'other with regard sweeping generalisations.

But, to be fair to the DVA, it isn't they that delay the security clearance process, it's the outside security services which are sometimes slow to respond to their request for checks- presumably due to sheer weight of numbers of unsolved traffic offences.

10. I think I'd quite happily support TM on this one. Over the length of my career I had a lot of dealings with DVA, for both my own clearances and those I was working with.

Material which didn't require outside consultation was badly handled, several times changes of personal circumstances were notified but not recorded etc.

Mind you I've also had dealings with OGD vetting organisations, and a couple of them are worse.......

11. Guys QUESTION about this vetting thing!

I phoned up the DVA to find out if I had been cleared or not

the guy on the phone said " You've got through 2/3 stages, we have the credit check to do now"

Right, recently i've been having finacial problems after losing my job and the money pile starts wearing thin!:( anyways i'm worried as i've missed a few payments on things and my account at the moment is in arrears However i've never defaulted or been bankraupt (SP?) before. I'm in debt now but not by mega bucks and i've told this to the afco people when I was joining up.

Will I be ok for clearance? I mean I don't want to be turned down just because i've missed a few payments. ( which did get payed in the end)

Thanks guys

12. Can I suggest that you read through the extensive range of questions which boil down to I have a slightly iffy credit history, will I be ok.

The question has been answered several times.

13. lol Glad someone is around to sympathise.. a great bunch the Bahrain Police are.

J.

14. Thanks for the welcome :thumright:

I'm just about to enter my third year at university so hopefully i'll have my AIB sometime in the first half of the new year. If all checks out that is.

Will carry on snooping around this site for the time being.
    I've seriously got the bug after visiting Portsmouth docks today...great fun!

cheers
    Adam

15. Ninja_Stoker

You're welcome for the welcome.

16. Cheers for the replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only awkward bugger around.

I still have weight to lose and maths to brush up on so the old security questionnaire will have to wait a few weeks.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Fair one, your call. :thumright:

I await the outcome with interest.