Another unnecessary "Rescue"?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What do you reckon? A stupid bloke that needed rescuing or a rescue crew hell bent on calling someone stupid, discounting an unnecessary risk themselves?

more: Edward Laxton was rescued by lifeboat after he defied police warnings | Mail Online
  2. You have to wonder if some people should be allowed out on their own. This bloke was by no means the first to put himself into danger during the recent storms and few have not returned to tell the tale. "Stupid" hardly covers the apparent complete loss of CDF displayed but I'll go along with it .
  3. It should be a bumper year for Darwin Awards.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Difficult to say as I cannot see the whole of the pier in the pictures but ... Having grown up in a seaside town in a Lifeboat family, I will risk the controversy of saying that shouting at him through a loud hailer and standing by as he made his way back the way he got out there might have been more efficient.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That's a fair point. The "camera never lies" but at long focal length, a lens can distort perspective quite spectacularly. The genuine clowns I had particularly in mind were the likes of [​IMG] Risking the safety of children is never a good idea and probably counts as neglect; at least.
  6. Darwin award?

The weather has abated somewhat on the south coast, but there is more severe weather forecast. And yes, at Sandown on the Oil of Wight this afternoon there was a windsurfer out having fun.....
  7. Let them be.If it wasn't for them,I'd be out of a job...:laughing3:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. Anyone wandering around near water in such weather who isn't sufficiently equipped is a silly fcuker, full stop. That family on the sea wall defies belief.
    It's like seafaring nobs who sail when the weather looks fine, minus equipment or experience, only to find themselves up to their necks in it and bleat to journalists that, 'The weather turned so quickly' with no regard for the fact that others have had to risk their lives to get them out of trouble.
    You can only put it down to the fact humans have a blind-spot when it comes to their mortality (until something hits them in the face with it), like tourists trotting off to Libya or other hotspots and finding themselves at the mercy of one extremist faction or another or shot in the back of the head. If you're not trained for it, stay the fcuk away.

10. Harsh, but true and fair!
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

We need some sort of legal process to recover the full public costs of rescuing Tom Fool from his own foolishness.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. We are probably the only country in the world where the maritime rescue vessels are not in government hands. Much as I have my reservations about some decisions made by the RNLI. I'd hate to see the beaurocrats get involved. @Seaweed. Who decides who is Tom Fool and who is lucky? That would soon turn into another tax on water users. Or discourage folk from launching maydays when they should be. The RNLI needs to be less strident in its criticisms of those it saves, lest we end up with a much worse alternative

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
    • Like Like x 3
  13. wal

wal Badgeman

Darwin rules, rule. Says I.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm inclined to agree that it's not particularly helpful or wise to criticise individuals that are rescued as it's Murphy's Law it'll bite you in the arse when some "silly sod" ends-up saving your life when you make an error of judgement, or you find yourself unemployed as there aren't enough "silly sods" to rescue.
  15. There is an argument that the more coddled and shielded from nasty danger we are as a Nation, the more we can't believe that anything bad will happen to us. Similarly, there may well be those permanently steered away from danger who then actively seek it just for the buzz.

Charging for rescues is a very thin end of a bloody big wedge.
    • Like Like x 1

16. Cut out the middlemen lawyers............just give the RNLI/SAR franchise to Ryanair. :happy3:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The legislation exists but is rarely used. Long story short.

A woman and hubby were suing a RN Rescue Helo crew for ripping a ball gown when lifting her from the sea after their yacht mast broke in a force 11!!!! (Why was she wearing a ball gown at sea in a force 11? - Anybodies guess). Anyway! The magistrate asked the CO of the squadron to work out the cost - the CG and other rescue agencies involved the same. One the figure was calculated and the couple informed of their % that under maritime laws they could be liable for - they dropped the claim.

What makes people tick!!!

Regards the OP's initial posting. The ILB wouldn't have any choice really. A member of the public calls in the wally's antics and then the rescue co-ordination centre responds to it as it would any emergency.

The number of times I have been called out to incidents that were unavoidable or down to plain stupidity. But it's the nature of the job. There will always be pratt's that think it will never happen to them. Which will inevitably put someone else's life(s) at risk.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Shouldn't you be paddling in Vikky Square, instead of wasting your time on here?
  19. Don't believe the press mucka! It's all clear. I was working down Sunseekers last night when plod, council and `environment Agency were advising folk to evacuate. Viccy Square was clear. They still closed the roads. Yes water was coming over the beach but the flood defences were coping really well. I took a wander down to see what the siren thing was all about!! Blue lights, road blocked - no water!!!!!!!
  20. The landlady of the pub said she had not seen anything like it in the three years she has had the pub. Why didn't she ask some of the old timers about previous floods? I remember being out all night during one storm, having put Hurricane hawsers out on the ship, the duty watch were dispatched to Victoria Square to rescue people trapped in their houses.