Another Tattoo Question (Sorry)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Glyndwr, Aug 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have had a tattoo on my left pec. I had asked my local AFCO on the the restrictions before having it and he told me to not go above my collar bone. I haven't, it stops just below but I'm still a little worried about it now after seeing some photos of people on parade. I have been told by a number of people that I can just pull the white front down in the back to pull it up in the front? Any other information would be appreciated.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Why do people push boundaries when informed of limitations, I wonder?

I recently processed a guy that spent £1000 getting a tattoo removed from his neck to meet the eligibility criteria. He then passed selection & was allocated an entry date. What did he do next? Yep, got a sleeve tattoo that reached onto the back of his hand, costing him a job.

If your tattoo is visible when wearing a standard round-neck teeshirt, then it will be visible when wearing parade (Number One) ratings uniform.

My AFCO keeps a ratings jacket for applicants to try on to check - ask your AFCO, if in doubt.

The good news, for those unable to follow rules: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/517856/army-tattoos-hands-neck-rules-relaxed

• Like Like x 2
  3. Can't comment 'cos I'm a PSOF.

4. What about the HMS Vernon tattoo? That was pretty visible, but it may have been because of the searchlights......

(I await potential criticism for the use of "the HMS", but it's justified grammatically)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not to mention the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, or as it is now known, The Edinburgh Show of Ethnic Dancing.

6. Ninja_Stoker

The funny thing about Percy relaxing the rules with regard visible tattoos is all the bullshit-merchants "I would've been in the SAS if it wasn't for the stupid tattoo rules" have had their bluff called.

Have numbers of applicants increased? Erm, no.

The odd thing about all this, much as I like tattoos, is that some people seem to miss the bit about joining a disciplined service & playing by the rules. It's a teensy-weensy bit relevant.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. When wearing a normal round neck it is not visible at all, even a slightly more revealing top it is still not visible. The tattoo doesn't come past my collar bone like my AFCO had told me not to do. It is probably just me over thinking and worrying about nothing. A few people I have spoken to, including a few mates who are already in have told me that it is fine but I thought I'd ask here too on other's opinions.

8. Ninja_Stoker

No worries.

My opinion, since you ask, is don't explore boundaries if it risks career aspirations.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I on the contrary do not like tattoos. I fail to see the need. They are, in my opinion, disfiguring.

10. I bet you always say: "they'll look terrible when you're older" to people too don't you?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The other interesting issue that usually comes to light with regard tattoos is the regulations for those serving, point to the fact that tattoos that may allude to the individuals origins or identity can preclude employment in operations of a delicate nature. Read into that what you will.

12. What a valuable contribution, I am sure it will help the OP

• Like Like x 4
  13. STC would probably reject me then with this above my right tit.
    -
    [​IMG]

14. Like you I have an intense dislike of Tats, however that is why I don't have any.
    I have more than a few oppos with them some who regret having them and others that don't.
    As for your opinion, fine, eventually you will grow up and see what a prat you are:D

15. For the record, I do not tell youngsters they may regret their decisions regarding tattoos. It is not my place to judge but I think people need to be aware that even in this post modern era some people dislike them and this can impact on impressions made. I do not usually respond to debate via insults either, for that matter.

16. I have grown up but all my ink was done in my 50's and still look fresh , so PSOF prat.:D
    ALL my ink is above T - shirt line , they are for me , no one else. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Stirlin, calm down fella, Slim was calling Brittania a prat for their post, not people with tats

• Like Like x 1
  18. Used the wrong smileys , now fixed.

19. I think you'll find times have changed. I know Senior Army and Navy Officers, financial professionals, highly successful business owners and healthcare professionals covered in ink. No-one cares anymore. If you make a judgment on tattoos then that says far more about you than even your opinion regarding regional accents on another thread. Where are you from? 1856?

I only care about tattoos when they're shit, then I point and laugh.

20. You all get so angry gentleman. It is not good for your blood pressure. 1856 is a very good vintage and I also know many people with hideous disfigurement from the overzealous use of ink. I still don't like them. Nor baseball caps. Nor piercings -apart from lovely 18ct and diamond earrings on me.