Another strange uniform question

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
Mmm I thought RN officers wore black ones - and Pussers Issue to JRs was always gloves, woollen, navy blue. Standard issue gloves for Prison Officers are black, and I've never seen the Plod in other than black gloves - not that we have coppers around here anyway.

B

Blapto

The Army wear brown gloves, but I've only seen RAF officers wearing black gloves.

B

Blapto

White cotton gloves for some ceremonial duties.
White leather ones for standards/banners.

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
Reservist-Monkey said:
Why do officers wear brown gloves. It's not just the RN, it almost everyone, the army, the crabs, even the police. Any ideas?

To keep our hands warm?

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
Seriously this time- is there any connection with tha fact that Army Officers wore/wear brown boots and ranks black?

PartTimer

War Hero
Geoff_Wessex said:
Mmm I thought RN officers wore black ones - and Pussers Issue to JRs was always gloves, woollen, navy blue. Standard issue gloves for Prison Officers are black, and I've never seen the Plod in other than black gloves - not that we have coppers around here anyway.

Defintiely brown for Officers. I recall that it was because Officers gloves were 'rei-service' so brown was chosen. Don't know why RAF Officers wear black then. They're actually quite nice (leather) gloves.

Bisley

War Hero
Reservist-Monkey said:
Why do officers wear brown gloves. It's not just the RN, it almost everyone, the army, the crabs, even the police. Any ideas?

I Believe it is something to do with, when they give so much Sh*t to the lower deck it doesn't show so much on their gloves. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Reservist-Monkey said:

To quote one of the instructors on my POLC a few years ago, in answer to a question from one of the female course members about gloves and when a begloved RM Colour Sgt was approaching:
"Gloves? Gloves?! Only two kinds of people wear gloves...... Royal Marines and poofters!"
:)

Latest Threads