Another Squadron stood up

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by stillholding, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 700W flight was the old Wasp/Wessexs ships flight , the Wasp was rebadged 829 not sure about the Wessexs, :wink: :wink: Waspie would know, 700Z and 700B flew Buccaneers 700Y flew Sea Vixens in the 60s

2. Were they also OEU's?

3. 700 Squadron has to my knowledge never been stood down.

It has always been the trials squadron prior to a new aircraft being brought into service.

In fact I think you will find no naval air squadrons are ever de-commissioned due to the expence of reforming them if needed.

Naval squadrons tend to be disbanded, but kept on the books so to speak in case they ever need to used again.

Wasn't 847 raised from the ashes in 1982 after being amalgamated with 848 upon leaving Singapore in 1971, when another Junglie unit was needed to go down South.

As always I await to be corrected by those more knowledgable than myself.

4. I was just going on what was said on the site but happy to be corrected

5. In 2000, I was present at the Commisioning Ceremony of 824NAS at Culdrose. But most Squadrons who are re-equipping with new Aircraft merely "Re-Dedicate".

6. :wink: used to be IFTUs in old money Intensive Fying Trial Units

7. Yup, thats what I remember Scouse. :thumbleft:

8. Is this "stand up", "stand down" stuff been acquired from the Army? Real Squadrons always disbanded and reformed with a service gap inbetween. Being "stood down" was always a temporary thing.

9. My ex cpo tiff was on 847 down south, he had a great time!