Another security question.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ryanryan2121, Jul 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone. I'm filling in my security questionnaire, and i am a bit worried. As i have had a police caution but i cant honestly remember what it was for. It was about 3-4 years ago. Are the police station able to tell me? If not can i basically write i don't know on the form?
    thanks in advance.

2. You only need to put convictions on there. Dont worry about cautions.

3. I would put it down anyway as if it does come up on your check at least you were being honest but I very much doubt it will its up to you

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not quite, unfortunately.

A caution appears on the Police National Computer (PNC)as it's an admission of guilt for committing an offence. The Defence Vetting Agency will query any entries on the PNC check that have not been disclosed, whether spent or otherwise.

You must state all convictions, including cautions however the good news is that a caution does not have a rehabilitation period. If you received a fine in addition, then there is a rehabilitation period.

Good luck.

5. Sound advice from Ninja. If you need the specific details then I am sure the local Police will be able to provide them. Far better to be up front about this kind of stuff than being found out later and making out that you had more to hide.

Good luck from me also.

SF

6. Thanks for the advice everyone. I have no problems with disclosing the offence, the only problem is i just don't know any of the details. Hopefully the vetting people will understand, it was just a stupid mistake on my part, and will give me a chance. I will kick myself very hard if something i done years ago stops me from joinng up.

7. Ninja_Stoker

A Formal Police Caution is not usually a bar to Security Clearance unless you have an extraordinary amount of them or if they are related to the possession of Class A drugs.

8. I was given a caution about three years ago that came in conjunction with a speeding fine. Is this likely to have a rehabilitation period, and will I have completed it by now?

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Formal Police Cautions generally remain on the PNC for five years. Conditional Cautions may be longer, depending on the nature of the offence.

10. I was caught speeding when I was 18, got disqualified for a fortnight and had to pay £60 in fines.

Would this hinder my chances of joining?

11. thanks for that SPB. I'll just have to declare it on the security form and hope that it doesn't have too many repercussions. I don't know whether or not I was subject to a conditional caution or anything like that, I suppose I will just have to wait and see whether or not it is going to be a problem for me when I come to hand all of the paperwork in.

12. it shouldnt be a prob tbh
    i just wrote my cautions down and he said ur better off doing that keeping them hid away and waiting for them to find out

13. Ninja_Stoker

Spot on! You are advised to list EVERYTHING on your MoD Form 1109 Security Questionnaire. If you do not disclose a conviction or caution & the Defence Vetting Agency find evidence of it you are technically witholding information & can be rejected for making a fraudulent application.

It is far easier to be honest, declare the lot & get the job than try to be cagey about it & get knocked-back. You won't get knocked back for disclosing a conviction as long as it's spent or been waivered.

Ultimately it's your choice

14. any one please?

15. Elsi, if it's a spent conviction I can't imagine that it would be a problem, as long as you declare it. If it's only for speeding it shouldn't be a bar to entry (like dangerous driving) so you should be alright. I must point out though that I am no expert on this, a response from Ninja when it arrives should be treated as gospel.

16. Cheers for the reply Pete, the incident occurred 4 years ago, the conviction isn’t spent yet. I can’t remember what was the incident classed as, Dangerous Driving or Careless Driving.

I was doing 60 in a 30mph zone :( I know it looks serious on paper, but I was overtaking a bus at night in a quiet part of town! To make matter’s worse, I was using my dad’s car, a 3 Litre Petrol, wasn’t used to that amount of power and acceleration!

No excuses though, I’ve learnt my lesson!

17. When I got caught it was less than a week after my test, doing 50mph in a 30 in my little fiesta. I was overtaking all sorts of stuff, because everyone else had spotted the copper stood a few hundred yards up the road with his speed gun. He was a right smug bastard when he pulled me over as well, not that I can complain.

From what I can gather from previous posts though, its always better to declare it and risk getting the knock back in the first place rather than omit it and have it come back to hurt you at a later stage. I would like to know if I can find out what I received really, because in my case I'm pretty sure I was placed under caution, but it was only a verbal thing so I don't know quite how official it was or anything. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of my record from?

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Given both of these are motoring related, a simple place to look for any convictions would be your driving licence - the conviction code will tell you exactly what offence you were found guilty of (or admitted to); if however you were cautioned and the offence didn't go further then a) I'm afraid your licence won't help, and b) you're damn lucky having been caught driving at 50 in a 30!!!!

19. That's the bit that I'm unsure on; I only got given a fine for SP30 (same as if you're caught doing 35mph), but because of the speed the copper did place me under caution. All I had to do was produce my documents as usual, didnt go to court or anything like that. I'm going to the AFCO for a presentation on Thursday afternoon, I will just ask someone about it when I get there.

20. Hi,

I have a police caution for possession of a class A substance. It was when I had just turned 18. Is a caution of this nature wiped from the PNC like other cautions? Any help would be much appreciated.