Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Portsmouth UXB

Wightsparker

War Hero
Apparently WW2 German 500 kg bomb found during the dredging work undertaken prior to the arrival of the new carriers.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Before it was removed to avoid upsetting the Germans there used to be a huge wall map in Portsmouth Museum showing where each bomb had landed.

When a raid started dummy fires were lit in Langstone Harbour to try and get the aiming point shifted onto the mud. As a result Hayling collected a few and the natives there were not best pleased, but the scheme must have saved many more lives in Portsmouth. I would be unsurprised if a huge number of bombs making a soft landing in Portsmouth and Langstone harbours were not still there.

Brought up a bit north of Petersfield, I recall one morning asking my uncle what that red glow was in the sky to the South. His reply was 'That's Portsmouth, burning'. I also remember tiptoeing through the rubble to go to the pantomime at the Theatre Royal near the Guildhall.

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Was it dredged-up actually in Pompey harbour, or a bit outside? Either way it's jogged my memory. When I joined my first ship in Pompey (at SRJ) as a baby bunting in the early 70s, one of the first dits that I heard was that there was a known UXB from WWII around at the mouth of the harbour.....that is to say, somewhere roughly between Dolphin and Vernon, according to the stories of the time. Back then (well over 40 years ago) the rumour was that it wouldn't take too much to set it off so pusser had decided against trying to search it out and defuse/recover it. Nobody on my ship actually gave a donald-duck either way, because we were Chatham-based and had only a handful of Pompey ratings onboard!! Maybe, just maybe, it's turned out that the rumours were true.......the UXB did indeed exist.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Now I'm confused. BBC South said today that the bomb was destroyed, and the RN commander who was interviewed seemed to say there was no visible explosion on the surface, which meant that his divers had to go back and check - and collect the bits. But:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bomb-disposal-experts-destroy-1-132504572.html

Apologies for any crap adverts. The same bomb?
An earlier bomb, from Nov last year :
http://news.sky.com/story/shops-and-restaurants-evacuated-as-ww2-bomb-found-in-portsmouth-10599220

Wightsparker

War Hero
Ah. Thanks!

Sort of: "And here's one I did earlier....."

That would account for the visible explosion. But the Sky video appeared to be dated 30 September 2016.

When exactly IS Groundhog Day?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ah. Thanks!

Sort of: "And here's one I did earlier....."

That would account for the visible explosion. But the Sky video appeared to be dated 30 September 2016.

When exactly IS Groundhog Day?

Someone from South Island asking when Groundhog day is? LOL It's every day for you shippers..... ;)

Wightsparker

War Hero
We don't do Groundhog Day.

Although it's possible you might be confused by South Island endearments such as: "Squeal like a pig!"

:confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wightsparker Another bomb dredged from Portsmouth Harbour Current Affairs 3
Wightsparker And another Portsmouth bomb...... Current Affairs 3
MoD_RSS The world cannot afford another conflict in the Gulf region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘Climate action cannot be another victim of coronavirus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gas goes green as UK takes another step toward net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government matches another £5 million of donations for coronavirus appeal after huge public response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Every pupil in England to see another rise in funding in 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Northampton man who killed another man in pub attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another leap forward in returning salmon to Yorkshire Dales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Manchester woman who glassed another woman has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another 900 British travellers in New Zealand set to return to the UK MoD News 0
J Transferring from one role to another The Fleet Air Arm 5
K Another 17 year old wanting to join the Navy Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS A connected UK: government extends Dundee to London flight route for another year MoD News 0
R Do you have to do another Pass or Fail interview at the PRNC? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Another success for the government’s voter ID pilots: 22 July 2019 MoD News 0
Waspie Another underwater tragedy! Submariners 1
J Yet another Commonwealth Applicant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
TuckerKlein Not another RMR post... RMR 2
vauxhall Another Success for Commission Officer Supplements Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another unclaimed pension is paid Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another happy veteran Finance & Pensions 3
vauxhall Another veteran reunited with his pension Finance & Pensions 0
WannabeAdmiral Yet another AIB experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
Capn_Pugwash Another one! Current Affairs 5
vauxhall Another pensions success Finance & Pensions 1
D The RN is getting weaker - Another Discovery5 Naval whine The Gash Barge 55
S Yet another age 55 question Finance & Pensions 5
vauxhall Another payout for an LE officer whose pension was upderpaid Finance & Pensions 0
OsmiumOxide Another attack, another day. Current Affairs 0
Sumo Another night of terror Current Affairs 150
NateDogg Able to transfer/ move to another common wealth force? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
woody28 Psychometric- yet another thread Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Another boring question but I'm confused.. Joining the Royal Navy 3
BoatyMcBoatFace ET-(WE) (Yes, another question I the Joining the Royal Navy 2
Captain Birdseye Changing to another AFCO? UPO/Careers Office 11
L Another set of questions on Selection Interview. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
U One Wall After Another Joining the Royal Navy 14
S Just another stupid question about drug convictions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Just Another Medical History Question... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Another boring historical uniform question? History 18
H Is there another eye test at the medical? Health & Fitness 2
B Another Re-join!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
B Another joining time Q Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
northern-matelot HMS Queen Betty, another "milestone" Current Affairs 75
Zakialwe Another AIB Diary... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
G Another Tattoo Question (Sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
J Another eyesight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0