Another Overseas Born British Serviceman Betrayed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Mar 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Rogers Jean-Baptiste served four years with the British Army, he served two tours of Iraq, and on his discharge certificate it reads "Exemplary." This man has served this country and our leaders let him down, he earned his British Passport, its the very least he deserves.

Surely every foreign born person who serves this country in our Armed Forces, does their return of service and has an "Exemplary" record, deserves the right to be a citizen of this country.

"O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play."
  2. Yep. All because he wasn't in the counrty 5 years to the day before he applied. Where was he i hear you ask? He was in Germany. With the British Army.
    Common sense prevails yet again! :eek:mfg:
  3. I understand the need for rules in the case of people requesting citizenship etc. Surely anyone who serves the UK in an overt way - especially in the Services - should be entitled and should be looked at on a case by case basis. I cannot believe the system is so inflexible. This is just one in a long line of cases (most notably the Ghurkas) that displays the government's complete disdain for those of us who serve.
  4. Forgive me if I am wrong on this, but whilst serving abroad, on a British military base/unit, isn't that same British base/unit classed as British Sovereign Territory? If so, he wasn't outside the UK. So he should qualify to become a British citizen. Am I wrong? Is there something I have missed?
    If I am wrong, this opens up another debate. If whilst serving abroad you are not classed as being on British Sovereign Territory, surely you should get tax free pay for being outside the country if deployed for greater than 6 months.
  5. I think it should be run along the lines of the RAN.
    An offer of work is also citizenship after a set number of years.
  6. I always take the view that rules are there purely for guidance... Civil Serpants should do the same.
  7. That's my understanding as well. Outside the UK on HMGs business is not outside the UK for these purposes.
  8. The Guberments own rules
    State that servicemen and crown servants are classed as in the UK

If you served the country for even one year then surely, you deserve more than an A8 national for starters, no matter from whence you came

Jack McH