Another newbie

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Spooked, Dec 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Another newbie/lurker. Just starting the application process for FAA (pilot). Is it advisable to apply for more than one branch or if I really want pilot should I just stick with that?

Cheers and great advice here - AIB and BRNC threads are absolute gems.

2. Welcome aboard Spooked. WAFU?? Not intending to work for a living then? :w00t:
    I'm sure that Ninja Stoker (AFCO Bod and good egg) will correct me if I'm wrong, but the more sure you seem of your preferred career path you are the better it will be.
    You may of course be offered other options if you're not up to Pilot standards,ie medically or mentally.
    However NS is the font of all knowledge on these matters, so wait for his response before filling out the forms etc.
    Good luck :thumright: .
  3. I was expecting some WAFU banter :toilet:

Cheers for the advice NZB and I look forward to hearing from Ninja Stoker!
  4. If it's woo banter you're looking for, then you need to get in the scran queue. Of course, you'll be at the back (Somewhere around Charlie section on a CVS) because nobody ever beats the bastards to the front, but you'll hear 'em spinning dits a-plenty. :argue:

All in the best possible taste, of course.

Scriblet of Daedalus Bldg. :computer:
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Again Spooked.

(Cheers for the very kind words NZB- it must be Christmas[​IMG])

To be honest, at the early stages of the selection process for aircrew, they'll just be pleased you can hold the crayon the correct way around & gouge legible markings without getting too side-tracked looking in a nearby mirror in self-adoration. :thumright:

Depending on the grade of pass you'll be offered the nearest option to your first preferred choice if you do not make your first choice. If you don't specify a second preference, it is not viewed negatively but you will be asked about other considerations you have made, whereas by expressing a second choice, expect to be asked what you know about that specific alternative - in other words you can control the questions to a degree.

My advice? Leave no question unanswered unless you want to be quizzed on it. Hope that helps.

A word of caution: About 90% of people walking into an AFCO want to be a pilot initially, but the selection requirements are exceptionally stringent & very few actually make it- remain focussed & determined throughout & don't give up at the first obstacle.
  6. And if you can't manage that don't worry the Ark Royal phase at BRNC will help to grind these essential skills into you, that and fully indoctrinating you the WAFU mindset by watching Top Gun repeatedly, as apparently it is a good example of radar characteristics.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't forget to buy the most essential piece of kit, a white silk scarf, wired so it always flys out behind you :rendeer: :dwarf:
  8. Many thanks for the advice guys :)