Another Newb, another question! (Medical related)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Andrew_1980, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks, pleasure to be aboard. Been reading for a few weeks and decided to sign up.

Right, I've already begun the sign-up process and am aiming for either warfare branch communicator or AET, I have never been so enthusiastic about anything in my life, I was told by the AFCO that the whole process will take between 6-8 months or so, which has given me a good amount of time to get myself in good order for the tests / interviews etc.. ie; I've joined a gym, going 4 days a week, running & swimming every other day, doing homework on the RN and polishing up on my maths and doing plenty of mock psychometric tests, which I will continue to do until the test day arrives at the end of June.. yet there is one thing I feel may hinder my application, and it's that I had a couple of short bouts of anxiety / stress related 'head problems' over the past 3 years or so that were purely circumstantial (financial situation & family stuff).. I always refused medication and battled the issues on my own.

Anyway, I know that you folks don't need hoards of details - just trying to give a clear picture.

Not that I'd have 'lost' anything, but if I'd have done all the work in the run-up to tests / interviews and found out I wasn't acceptable to the Navy due to these periods of 'mental weakness' I'd be pretty damn gutted.

I am also aware that the advice & info offered on here can't be taken as gospel or up-to-date, I guess what I am looking for is any information anyone could share on their own experiences with anything of this sort.. I did visit th AFCO and asked him what he thought and he said it was down to the person who does my medical test / history and he couldn't say one way or the other.

If anyone has any words they can offer, that would be much appreciated. Also if anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

2. Hi Andrew!

Some of the contributors to the forum are currently working in either RN Recruitment or the Training Establishments and at least one works in a medical capacity with the RN, so the advice you get here will be up to date and on the ball.

Look out for responses from them later.

Good Luck!
  3. Will be doing just that Soleil, thanks for the reply and for the warm welcome also! :)
  4. Hi Andrew,

I know how you feel mate!

I myself, am dealing the same sh*t, I went through some pretty rough times (not going into details; although I suspect yours probably weren't as 'serious' as mine) in my youth, and was medically treated for mental health issues.
    This was 9 years ago for me, but after having my medical although the doctor I saw admitted as of today I am medically fit for service they will still have to refer it for investigation.

This was nearly 3 weeks ago now - still waiting on decision to come back. Everywhere I have looked and everyone I have spoken to have reassured me this is just a case of red tape / procedure that needs to be ticked off.

Obviously this is an anxious time, as like you - I am fully committed to joining the RN (never been this passionate about anything else in my life) Although I have tried to prepare myself for worse case scenarios - I still don't think I'm prepared if I hear the word 'No'.

I truly wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to fulfill your dream.

Have you spoken to your AFCO about this already?
    I suspect they will fob you off - 'as they are not medically trained' but I still feel it will help your case if you are upfront from the word go.

Best of luck!

5. Hey up Guy,

Thanks for the response.. does sound like we are in a similar situation, and yeah I made a journey to the AFCO to ask about this specifically.. the lad pretty much said "Can't say for sure but if it's a no don't be getting all depressed" :lol: so aye there was no solid answer but I'd rather that than some BS that 'I wanted to hear' just to keep me interested with false hope..

The way I see it is that all the inconveniences & rough patches like whatever you / I may have been through in't past would just make the tough times on the job & in training that much easier.. tbh I kinda look forward to the dirtier challenges and having to do stuff I'd never choose to do, gash duties or cleaning for days on end, the militant discipline, no sleep, malnutrition, whatever... bring it on!

Best of luck to you too chief.. please do let us know how you get on.

6. Hi Andrew,

I do work within Naval recruiting, so what I say is pretty true.

Firstly the response you got from the AFCO staff, is what we are told to tell you. We are not trained medical staff, so can not give honest answers to the difficult medical questions. During the selection you will undergo a medical and our AFCO medical examiner will make the decision on whether or not we can continue with you application.

However, having worked in the careers office for over 7 years, here's a bit of advice. Yes you need to be honest with the medical staff, but make sure you tell them facts and not what you think it was etc. If you have not taken medication for this problem, then that is good. If you have dealt with the stress yourself, then well done. This can only be a positive. If you sort advice from the medical staff, this too is positive.

All that said, the decision of the medical staff is now what will decide if we can proceed with your application. If it really worries you, then ask your AFCO if you can be medicalled earlier in the process. I have in the past, medicalled someone straight after their RT, rather than sticking to the normal selection process.

I hope this helps

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Further to Supermarios' sound advice above, it may help speed the process if you ask your doctor for a copy of your medical notes regarding any previous conditions before speaking with the AFCO Medical Examiner.

You will then be able to produce the notes relevant to any condition requiring further investigation.

Best of luck.
  8. Great stuff, thanks to you both for the replies. Will speak to my GP and ask for medical notes, and also to the AFCO to see if it would be possible to move the medical examination date forward. Thanks again. :)
  9. I did this for my medical. The doc said I've sped up the process by getting them. Still, it's about a month on and nothing heard.

Good luck on your medical.
  10. No luck yet then Dr Z??? Just found out my last reference is on its way now for SC
  11. Keep us informed Dr Z, I need a new tea boy, I've broken this one.
  12. Nah, not yet. Glad to hear your's is progressing :)

Fine, but I'll be making it from the hot water tap :)