another naughty boy...

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by sillywillie, Dec 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys, not been here before so not sure if this should be in the newbie section, appologies if i've stuffed up. Did a bit of searching but could only find some, confusing yay and nay, stuff on closely related things.

quick explaination about me before i ask my question, if you're not interested (I wouldn’t be if I were you) skip the next paragraph...

short story long: im 23; always wanted to work in an office, did so for about a year after completing my a levels; in may 2007 (i was 19 at the time) i was coming home from shopping and had a bit of road rage, got cut up, tried to cut them up, hit the front of their car and 'rammed' them off the road, panicked and kept going, as soon as i got to the end of the road i went to the police station resulting in a conviction for dangerous driving and a failure to stop; i received no fine, a two year ban and a nine month probation order; the court process was lengthy because (scared of going to prison) i first pleaded not guilty in the magistrates, who referred the case top the crown court for tougher sentencing; i of course came to my senses and pleaded guilty at the crown court, in February 2008; although the worst period of my life, it was undoubtedly the making of me and caused me to take check of my life and since then i haven't looked back; just before the trial/heering/sentancing/whatever they call it, i met a friend of a friend who was RM, and became interested so i went along to my afco; the afco guy explained to me that the looming convictions would mean a bar to entry for two years (based on the fact i told him the mandatory sentence for dangerous driving was a two year ban - we went with the best case scenario), and to return when i had my license back; i know that because of the probation sentence, i have to wait for five years, not two, for the convictions to be spent; i decided that, on the brighter side of life it gave me five years to train hard and prepare myself the best i can so i can show the afco i am not the same person i was five years earlier and i tried to apply the RM ethos to my every day life; i found it really hard to get a job with a criminal record and no driving license, so i decided that i would have to teach myself and work for myself on a self-employed basis as a builder; i managed to get a job cleaning at a school (never been one for the doll queue and hand outs), so i could save enough money to get some tools together; I then managed to get some bits together and start a window cleaning round at the weekends, then eventually enough to buy some tools and I started as a builder around a year ago; so I’m chuffed with myself thus far and I got back on the road about six months ago and am managing to pick up more and more work all the time now im driving (just goes to show you what a positive attitude can do for you) I’m still not doing brilliantly well, but when I think where I have come from it makes me very proud of myself and makes me realise just how much I want to join the RM, the way I have been applying myself to life has caused me to do things I’ve I always wanted to do too, from learning the guitar to much more adventurous and extreme things I thought I’d never be able to do, again, all drumming home how much I want to join the RM.

Anyways, the somewhat dreary Michael Aspell moment over, the question I’m asking is: Once my conviction for dangerous driving is spent, will I be eligible, or is dangerous driving a big no-no? I don’t know of any other reasons why I wouldn’t be, but it is something I have put off going back to the afco to ask as I am still hanging onto the idea to help me count down the days, and it certainly makes a big difference when I’m training; to know there is a reason for it, it really helps cover those last few miles or extra reps. I know I should ask the afco, i’ve been forced into it by some guys I’m going climbing in Scotland in January into February with, who have told me they have had enough of me going on about it all the time and are going to run off while belaying me if I don’t get an answer before we go (with friends like these eh?!), so I will do in the new year, but thought perhaps someone (someone like ninja stoker [I was on PRMC forum ages ago just out of interest so I remember he knows everything about everything – doesn’t PRMC work any more, that’s why I am here – not that you guys are second best of course :p ) could advise me, or at least offer a glimpse of hope). If it’s a no-no, would they be more inclined to reconsider after an additional few years has passed perhaps?

Cheers if you can help guys.

2. MY FCUKIN" EYES YOU ILLITERATE CNUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As the Corps can pick and choose at the moment I'd think your application could find itself pretty low on the pile.
    Someone who has a conviction and only wants to join because no one else wants you etc etc would find their motivations for joining examined pretty throughly.
    You're probably not a good option for completing training with your track record.
    still give it a shot it is after all the Season of Goodwill and the AFCO man could use some light relief.

3. When you say 'doll queue' do you mean those nice Russian ones?

Be careful of them, I bought one in Camden market for a girlfriend about twenty years ago and she packed me in two-six.

Think it was a curse.

4. Here is the version with some paragraphs in it!! :roll:

Sorry I could bring myself to do the punctuation as well! 8O

5. Ha ha,

I don't think understand my reasons for wanting to join, perhaps if i'd structured my post a little better (as you kindly and politly point out), it may have been easier for me to get my point over. The fact it was done on my phone didn't help matters, but if I'm honest, I thought perhaps this was the kind of forum that as long as I got my message typed up, not too many people would be offended by my lack of proper proper prose, punctation and syntactical elloquence.

Thanks for spell checking and proof reading it for me, very nice of you.

Anywas, it cracked me up to hear you response. Perhaps you could give this post a once over too, just to make sure it's not a crime angainst the written word; there's a few deliberate (and I'm sure accidental) ones inserted in there just for you, ha ha.

I did not mean to say "no one else wants me" as it may appear, I meant to say, that since the offence I have looked at life differently and that what I want out of life has changed along with my goals, and that the trouble I got into in the past, ironically, helped me determine this.

So far then, in answer to my question, being "will I be eligible" not will i get in, I can sort of see, somewhere in the midst of the friendlyness to the newbie, an answer of yes you will be eligible.

6. Youve put off going to the afco to find out for sure but are happy to wait on the online career advisor during Christmas leave to maybe pop on to give you "the good news"?

If I was in your position I would want to know asap so I could sort my career out for certain.

One other question, you always wanted to work in an office, what aspect of driving a car off the road and driving away leaving the occupants to an uncertain fate made te exchange from working indoors where you say you always wanted to be to a sudden careers change outdoor facing the elements?

Afco would ask that as well if you get to interview no doubt.

Everyone does silly things in their lives and some folk genuinely change and if you can prove you have then you probably will be in with a shot once your convictions are spent, however there will be guys the age you were when you done this applying now with a more mature attitude than you had back then.

7. Cheers for the reply mate,

sound bit of advice.

I only mention ninjastoker because I see he replied to a few other posts today and thought, hey why not see if he might like to reply to this one.

There's not enough time in the world to explain my intentions, short comings and reasoning, perhaps if there was and you knew or had the chance to talk to me, so you could base your opinions of me on more than a few (or should that be one illiterate) paragraphs, you would hold a different opinion on me. I don't think I explained myself as well I'd like to have first time round, and I felt it unreasonable to go into great depths over what exactly happend or why I have changed my goals, so I just sort of bullet pointed a quick suming up of it all and a bit about myslef. In the hope that I wouldn't be seen as another crazed numnut that wants to join the marines, but that seems to have back fired on me brilliantly, so never mind!

However, as you ask, all my hobbies, from mountaineering and marathon running to rabbitting and fishing, and many others inbetween, are all "in the elements". The only reason I wanted an office job was for the greater chance of earning a higher wage (I don't want to argue whether this is correct or not - it's just how I looked at it at the time). But as I say, what I want from life has changed tremendously. I guess it's a shame it took what happend for me to realise this and to grow up you are completely right, but to me this is what i have to keep focusing on. If I'm honest, there are probably guys applying now at the age I was then, who are more mature, not just than what I was back then, but more so than I am now, no question about it. But every day that passes since my offence, I am another footstep closer to the person I want to be.

Cheers again for the help, nice to know I'm in with a shout at least. Oh, and the reason I have put it off, is because I had a feeling I wouldn't even be eligable, and I didn't want the slap in the face to be honest. And the hope that I would even be considered was something motivating for me when I was down. I just thought; before I went along to the afco I'd see what others though they might say or if there was anyone out there who could advise.

The least I have learned from talking to you guys is I'm an immature ILLERATIT CNUT, who needs get himself to the afco, and present myself in a much better fashion than I have here. But, I am in with a shout, once the convictions are spent, it's not still an automatic no; they can pick and choose like someone explains, I just have to make sure they have a good enough reason to pick and choose me.

8. Asphyxiate oneself. Poste haste.

9. I bet there is an autistic boy in Wisconsin who can figure out what the fuck you are dribbling on about, but it's beyond me fella.

10. Yeah because adults shunt other cars off the road, then run away.
    :roll: You got that right.
    Away and boil yer heid.

11. Youve put off going to the afco to find out for sure but are happy to wait on the online career advisor during Christmas leave to maybe pop on to give you "the good news"?

If I was in your position I would want to know asap so I could sort my career out for certain.

One other question, you always wanted to work in an office, what aspect of driving a car off the road and driving away leaving the occupants to an uncertain fate made te exchange from working indoors where you say you always wanted to be to a sudden careers change outdoor facing the elements?

Afco would ask that as well if you get to interview no doubt.

Everyone does silly things in their lives and some folk genuinely change and if you can prove you have then you probably will be in with a shot once your convictions are spent, however there will be guys the age you were when you done this applying now with a more mature attitude than you had back then.

12. Long queues at the AFCO means that numpties can be dispensed with faster, same as with any other employer.
    You may, as the Corps needs more Recruits pronto get in, but if you don't guess who that's down to.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes. :wink:

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So you want to be a Royal yes? Here's a quick check list for you. If the answers are all yes, you could be in:

1. Do you enjoy physical activity?
    2. Do you enjoy crawling through mud and shit?
    2. Can you name more than one use for a roll mat?
    3. Are you willing to answer most questions with "Hoofing"?
    4. Are you more comfortable naked?
    5. Do you enjoy the feel of womens clothing?
    6. Do you like hitting people?

Good luck in your quest.

15. Nomination for post of the year! :lol:

16. When you went to your heering and were sentanced you were bloody lucky mate.
    You ram another car containing frangible human beings off the road because they slightly annoy?
    In some countries they call that attempted murder buster.
    You are an idiot and as has been said, in this day and age the service can be picky; just as picky as they wish.
    If they do pick you then you will have been very lucky indeed. It is not a refuge for the dim witted.
    Plank!