Another Hopeful!

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Hutman, Jan 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon!
    Been having a nose on here for a few days getting some helpful information that should do me some good during my recruitment stage!
    I'm currently hoping to join and become an Officer Pilot in the RN, my brother is currently coming up to half way through his initial RM training.
    Bit about myself, im 23, about 5,6" 11st... play rugby in my spare time, relatively fit

I've had my initial recruit tests, medical, fitness test....
    Next step for me is I have a 3 day visit to RNAS Yeovilton and then my AIB, FAT's

Was wondering if anyone had any personal tips/hints etc. to throw my way... harsh truths, what to expect, what not to do .. blah blah

cheers :)

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

How tall is your brother?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks, I did find that before and its helpful to have the link to it!

24 in May... I did speak to the AFCO, I applied before they brought the age limit down and I have until i'm 25 to finish my recruit process... got held back on my medical for a fungal infection i had for 2 months

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Five-six?

You do realise you can shrink by up to two inches every time you eject? :wink:

5. I'm f*cked then!!

6. Knew a guy who started off as a pilot - 2 bird-strikes during training and kicked-off course, (only 2 ejections allowed during flying career..?) Anyway, he ended up as a Warfare Officer in submarines - much to his dislike... didn't sign-up for that now, did he?? If you can't take a joke etc...

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I didn't like to say.

You can probably get booster cushions on F-35s I'd imagine, nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. Calm down Sarge, it's always good to know what you're heading into and the side benefits, especially if it's of interest to the enquirer!

10. sgtpepperband

"Of interest" = yes.

"Helpful to the recruitment process" = unlikely.

Oh, and I am extremely calm. In fact, my mental health has never been better... :wink:

11. "of interest" = yes, "helpful to the recruitment process" = yes, as it may make the applicant even more determined to get in, otherwise why would the Armed Forces push it's commitment to sport so much?

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

That, to me, would fall into the "of interest" category. If it becomes somebody's reason to join up then we have to question whether they are the right candidate for a stressful job of Pilot (and chances are, the training pipeline won't allow him much time to play that much in the first few years).

13. But that's the point isn't it, grabbing someones interest and maintaining it by letting them know of the extra curricluar activities they can get involved in apart from endless exams, training cycles etc. Just look at how many applicants that come on here and state they have an interest in a particular sport and will they still be able to play it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. not so oppo!!! LT. SKRODZKI, Zbigniew K. Ejected three times. Twice from a Scimitar and finally from a Hunter....

15. sgtpepperband

I can't dispute that at all, Wrecks. But given the nature of the OP's original enquiry, I think he is looking for more specific information about the recruitment process rather than what the RN can offer him during his service.

16. I read his request as a more general enquiry as he doesn't mention any specifics, which is why he asked for "hints and tips" for his AIB, FATS etc. He seems to have the process weighed off, judging by what he's written.

17. I had a jockey once, (Ashanti's Wasp Pilot), he was bang on minimum height requirement, (tongue in cheek with the medical officer NOT wearing glasses). He used to use additional items to enable him to reach the rudder pedals. Didn't like the guy but he was a good pilot! (Even if he was a person if diminutive stature).

18. Ello ello, 3 days at Yeov.... Is that along the lines of an Acquaint Course or something? Pray tell how ya swung that one pretty please?? :)