Another government decision as first dictated by RR regulars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why? This has been on the cards for eons. It is hardly a huge surprise.

2. I'm surprised that they are actually going ahead and do this.

I suppose Norman will appear at some point too - never mind, Ying and Yang.

3. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I agree that the MOD needs a serious overhaul - how could they let the new Nimrods go so much over budget and time?! - but am concerned that as opposed to slim-lining the actual MOD at the top, the top will merely look from their lofty posts down at the Armed Forces and make swathing cuts to the numbers of incoming and serving personnel. It seems to me that the ones who need to be cut are the ones given the task of making cuts. I'm ready to be corrected though, and would quite like to be, in fact!

I must admit there is a small part of me frustrated beyond belief at all these defence cuts... I desperately want to join the RN but feel as if I'm being thwarted at every turn at the moment. I won't find out until November whether I get a place at BRNC... let's just hope it's still open for business, eh?

Saddened of Burwell.

4. Just read this - some things don't change.
    In 1812, The Duke of Wellington responded to a demand for a complete inventory as follows: "Each item and every farthing has been accounted for, with two regrettable exceptions for which I beg your indulgence. Unfortunately, the sum of one shilling and nine pence remains unaccounted for in one infantry battalion's petty cash and there has been a hideous confusion as to the jars of raspberry jam issued to one cavalry regiment during a sandstorm in Western Spain. This reprehensible carelessness may be related to the pressure of circumstances, since we are at war with the French, a fact which may come as a bit of a surprised to you gentlemen of Whitehall."

• Like Like x 1
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I've just read the entire Levene report.....oh dear...

6. Gen dit, I knew a chief stoker who sent off detailed technical drawings and a 12 page study into the feasibilty of using a 'Cat-Toast' generator to supply a Type 42 with a 440v supply, the principle of which is explained below:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ledp0mgRlq1qehfnho1_500.png

Surprisingly they overlooked his genius and he won nothing.

7. {Thread drift mode] ON
    If I recall correctly, several years ago, the University of Newcastle ascertained that the more expensive the flooring the more likely that toast will land butter side down.

No doubt this is explained in Newton's fourth law which unfortunately didn't get written down before he died.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Babe, you get YACRO doing the pruning not Alan Titchmarsh.

9. Magda

Babe? :hmm: Hmm. I can live with that :toothy3:

Sterl darling, I failed big time, to use modern terminology. :slow: Not sure what word I wanted to use, but it meant "expansive", hence FAIL. Just don't let Bob see, my cred will take a nose-dive.

And what's YACRO? Google failed me...

10. Apologies for being sexist, it was ugly this avo' and I lost track...he said... cough, here you go.

YACRO - City of York Council......2 doors down from the Spread Eagle pub, my former local, crime wave shot up immediately it opened.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  11. "Swingeing", maybe?

12. Magda

Yes! Thank you, it had been annoying me. Couldn't for the life of me remember that it was.

It wasn't sexist, doesn't bother me. I saw it as a sort of endearment ;-) perhaps wrongly...

I did wonder when I typed in the acronym and that came up, but didn't "get it" what ever "it" is. :oops:

13. Apologies again, I left school at 15 to join the RN so some of the posts on here......well anyway I misinterpreted your post.
    'It', I assumed most cities had what York City Council call community payback they use these er....ex-offenders to do work in the city with high viz jackets with logo on the back 'Community Payback', just this morning when I returned from my walk they were cleaning our flats stairwell. They also do gardening, supervised, but they STILL prune from the bottom. I hope that is clear for you if not I could travel to.......brushteeth

14. Magda

Misinterpretations abound, I didn't know what you meant either! And I don't mind babe, love, darling, duck etc. Get called them everyday in my job!

Not sure whether we have schemes like that around here but I understand what you mean. We have drifted off topic somewhat :p

It is clear thanks Stirling, no need to travel to what appears to be the Colgate factory to assist me ;p :slow: :toothy3:

15. And thank you.