Anorexia as a child

Hi there,

I can't seem to find an answer to this:
I am aware of the medical bar to entry requirements
"Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia."

As a child around 10 years of age, I suffered from anorexia which I am completely over now. it's been 20 years since that time.... Is this one bought of illness going to bar me from entry totally? or will it be looked at as an individual case?

Hi there,

I can't seem to find an answer to this:
I am aware of the medical bar to entry requirements
"Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia."

As a child around 10 years of age, I suffered from anorexia which I am completely over now. it's been 20 years since that time.... Is this one bought of illness going to bar me from entry totally? or will it be looked at as an individual case?
There is no-one on this forum who is able to give you a definitive answer. You may have to wait until the MOD appointed Docs get a shufty at your medical documents.
Good luck with your application.

I actually discussed this with a doctor the week before last. Unfortunately a history of an eating disorder is currently an absolute no (assuming this was a serious enough case for you to need any kind of treatment). However, they are currently reviewing medical entry requirements for the MOD - with a favourable opinion and general consensus that it should be reviewed as individual cases. Ultimately, it will come down to the word of the psychiatric team but its looking more hopeful than before.

Hope that helps!
Spud

I actually discussed this with a doctor the week before last. Unfortunately a history of an eating disorder is currently an absolute no (assuming this was a serious enough case for you to need any kind of treatment). However, they are currently reviewing medical entry requirements for the MOD - with a favourable opinion and general consensus that it should be reviewed as individual cases. Ultimately, it will come down to the word of the psychiatric team but its looking more hopeful than before.

Hope that helps!
Spud

Thank you for the reply.
I have as expected failed my triage call. Even though the anorexia had come off the bar list on the medical questionnaire. They said I could appeal to get my case looked at on an individual basis. Is that likely to change the result or will the appeals board say the same thing as the nurse did.

Thank you for the reply.
I have as expected failed my triage call. Even though the anorexia had come off the bar list on the medical questionnaire. They said I could appeal to get my case looked at on an individual basis. Is that likely to change the result or will the appeals board say the same thing as the nurse did.
The whole point of triage is to sort out the obvious fails before the actual doctors get involved. If you were told your situation was appealable I'd say give it a go as you have nothing to lose. Others on this forum may be able to advise you on the best way to handle your appeal and what documentation you will be expected to provide.
Good luck for the future.

Latest Threads