Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcement: 1 LANCS are first of 500 homecoming troops

MoD_RSS

War Hero
Ministry of Defence said:
The soldiers of Burma Company of 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment (1 LANCS) are the first of 500 Service personnel to come home as security in their area of Helmand province is handed over to Afghan forces.
They have returned to their barracks at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, following the closure of their patrol base in Lashkar Gah and the Afghan Uniform Police (AUP) taking responsibility for security in the region.
1 LANCS are part of Task Force Helmand, currently led by the British Army’s 4th Mechanized Brigade, known as ‘The Black Rats’.
The troops were based at Patrol Base Nahidullah in the Lashkar Gah district of Helmand province as part of an Adviser Team Enabling Company (ATEC) supporting the 8th Precinct of the AUP.
Their role was to advise, train and support the police to bring security and stability to the region, but that job is now complete. Nahidullah is the first base of its size to have been closed down in Task Force Helmand’s area of operations.
Commander of 4th Mechanized Brigade, Brigadier Bob Bruce, said:
In terms of the campaign this is the most obvious example of progress during our tour so far.
The important thing has been enabling the Afghans to take a firm hand on the security situation in this area allowing the Task Force to close Nahidullah.

Kingsman Carl Day checks his baggage in for his flight back to the UK [Picture: Corporal Jamie Peters RLC, Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]Major Ed Fraser, the Officer Commanding Burma Company in charge of the ATEC, said:
This area was hard fought over but a very active police force has come in over the last couple of years. There are over 200 police officers serving here and they have security locked down effectively.
The police are ready to take on the security of the area. They are running their own operations independently; they have asked for little bits of support but they were operating very much on their own from the beginning of October.
As one of the larger bases, Nahidullah had support from civilian contractors who provided everything from satellite television and internet access to laundry facilities.
During the closure process, the facilities were removed and the base reduced to a more basic level for the troops that remained until the final day.
Kingsman Kurt Pollock, whose wife is expecting their second baby, said:
We went to the area but the Afghan police had pretty much been leading most of the operations anyway. We’re coming home early because the job has been done.
I’m chuffed about going home; I’m looking forward to seeing my wife and son, as well as looking at the photographs of the scan of the baby on the way.

Kingsmen from Burma Company of 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment on board an RAF C-17 Globemaster aircraft [Picture: Corporal Jamie Peters RLC, Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]Sergeant Rob McCormack said:
The Afghans were brilliant, they were happy to get out and conduct their own operations. A lot of the time they didn’t really ask for our help; when we tried to spur them on to do stuff they were already doing it proactively.
The troops are generally happy about going home; however they still have friends out here so sometimes they have the feeling that they want to stay with them.
Through the welfare system my wife has been told we’re going home and she’s very happy I’m coming back to see her and the dog.
Kingsman Kurtis Done said:
I feel the tour has been worthwhile. We didn’t get into any conflict with the enemy because we were doing a proper job. I can’t wait to go home though. I think my mum is more excited than I am.
Following a period of leave, the troops from 1 LANCS will be responsible for providing support to the battle groups deploying to Afghanistan in April 2013, when Burma Company will be reunited with the rest of the battalion.
The Defence Secretary announced last year that 500 British personnel would be withdrawn from Afghanistan by the end of 2012, reflecting the continuing progress being made in Helmand.
The drawdown is consistent with the process of transition to Afghan forces agreed by ISAF nations at Lisbon in 2010.
The Defence Secretary has emphasised the UK’s commitment to Afghanistan for the long term, committing £70 million per annum in funding for the Afghan security forces, in addition to taking the lead in setting up an Afghan National Army Officers’ Academy in Kabul after the combat mission ends in 2014.

More...

G

guestm

The MOD RSS feed just became the first poster ever to make me use the ignore function thanks to it's spamfest. A thousand trolls, retards and dullards couldn't manage that.

Mega.

Bloody philistines.... the MOD RSS feed is even better than Newbies for shit dits and dopey stories. I love it, it's funny as ****.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Service Complaints Ombudsman Appointment announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCC summit announcement: Foreign Secretary's statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Israel and Morocco: UK responds to announcement of normalisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RWM welcomes announcement of first ‘Working Group’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual welcomes DfE announcement on 2021 exams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bahrain and Israel: UK responds to announcement of normalisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK Internal Market Bill - announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement of extension to a public appointee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement on our earlier announcement, 15 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Secretary of State's announcement of 12 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Loans Interest Rates and Repayment Threshold Announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement by UK Visas and Immigration regarding the validity of Venezuelan passports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement of preferred candidate for HM Chief Inspector of Prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pubs Code Adjudicator statement on the announcement of pubs reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy for Social Justice events announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update following announcement on exams and grades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Israel and OPTs: UK expresses concern over announcement of new Israeli settlements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to announcement on Live Facial Recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA welcomes Government announcement on Culham campus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement of new Deputy Police Commissioner in Turks and Caicos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Loans Interest and Repayment Threshold Announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government announcement to end UK's contribution to climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Updated announcement from Dr Gillian Fairfield, DBS Chairman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK South Africa Joint Announcement – Commonwealth Digital Connectivity Agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Government response to Honda announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister for Middle East's statement on Israeli settlement announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spring announcement due for A358 route solution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK response to Saudi Arabia announcement of charges following the death of Jamal Khashoggi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Announcement on probate fees MoD News 0
vauxhall CPI Announcement Finance & Pensions 0
R Announcement: Royal Air Force to be Disbanded Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS News story: Chief Executive announcement MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Office Minister condemns Israeli settlement announcement MoD News 0
babygravy Big BAE announcement next week Current Affairs 17
perrym Great Britain Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Squad Announcement Sports and Adventure Training 3
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary meets Kuwaiti Minister of Foreign Affairs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: This week at the Foreign Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary extremely concerned at proposed new housing settlemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary condemns North Korea's proposed satellite launch MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Office Minister summons Israeli Ambassador to express deep conc MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: UK – Mongolia Round Table discussions held in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: UK-Kuwait Joint Steering Group Communiqué MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary attends Manama Dialogue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Prince of Wales welcomes homes Welsh Guards from Afghanistan MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Announcement: £1.2 billion contract awarded for new attack submarine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: FCO Minister shows continued UK support to Libyan people on trip to reg MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: The Defence Secretary on delivering value for money and innovation in D MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Piracy Ransoms Task Force publishes recommendations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Light Dragoons receive Afghanistan medals MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Announcement: Reservists take centre stage MoD News 0