Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anniversaries

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
Just been browsing my old Divers Log Book and discovered that 49 years ago today I qualified Ships Diver
It might sound naff but that was a very proud moment for a young matelot - had a great month in Guz and the mud runs improved
my complexion no end - now I’ve gone all misty eyed and can’t see to type - must be the bright sunlight

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Did you know there is a SD site on Faceache? Something catchy like 'Royal Navy Ship's Divers' ;)

Mud runs - the hardest thing I have EVER done, and I've done some silly stuff!

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
Thanks SB - I’m not on FAche but I’ll check it out - sadly I can’t remember anyone else who was on that course and don’t think I ever ran into any of them again - I’m pretty out of touch but I understand Ships Divers are an extinct species now - pretty much every ship had a at least enough to put a half necklace together so I’d be curious what the RN has replaced them with

Ships’ Diver training was abolished in the Royal Navy circa 2000. Maintaining a cadre of sufficiently trained, in-date personnel became unsustainable owing to (a) lean manning and its effect on the availability of trainees, (b) so many wrapping their hands in after a couple of years, or even months, (c) lack of continuation training opportunities and (d) the expense of providing adequate diver training staff, equipment and facilities.

It was also impossible to train personnel to the degree needed to deal with the modern threat given the short duration of the course, plus all the accompanying health & safety issues involving due diligence, duty of care, etc.

Clearance Divers are deployed to provide necessary cover when needed and the Fleet does not seem to have been adversely affected in the 20 years since this policy was implemented.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was one of the conscientious ones - I loved it! However it was difficult getting the minutes in if deployed on patrol, though the odd lobster pot/fwd hydro-plane interface was always a good one!
It wasn't helped by the staff at Horsea NEVER giving more than 59 minutes for a dive, which meant that 3 sessions were needed to qualify for that quarter.

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
Thanks NG for the update - I can see the problems with keeping it, but a shame non the less - loads of people missed out on what was a great opportunity to learn a new skill under expert tuition and the combination of working dives and exped dives made for some good times - and of course in my time Ships Divers still accounted for a large proportion of entrants on the CD2’s courses - though that was getting less each year with direct entrant CD3’s starting to come through in larger numbers

Latest Threads