Ankle Support

nemesis1066

Lantern Swinger
Was this to me regarding a achey ankle or the original post?

Both to be honest. If there is one area that results in the most rejections and failures in the early stage of training it is lower limbs problems, most of which were present pre-joining.
A discharge as a NFA (Not Finally Approved) Medical makes it harder to rejoin, in fact most do not get a second chance.
Being upfront shows integrity, honesty, courage amongst many others of the Service Core Values.
Whatever happens, I wish you good luck and a quick fix.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Stress fracture sounds bad. Hope it is not that.

It feels normal when i am walking around, it was just after a short while of running and after. May be me just being a pansy!

thanks for the advice.

Yeah, that's what I thought, so I ran on a broken leg for a month. 3 months later, I was fixed enough to be pain free, and 6 months to be able run again.

Ash891

Badgeman
I don't mean to sway you from the Doc's advice but it could quite possibly be shin splints. Very common for runners, especially those new to it. I've had them a few times in the past, just lay off for a couple of days, ice it after any exercise and elevate it when you can. Despite the name, 'shin splints' can start anywhere above your ankle and lead all the way up to your knee (and on either side of your calf muscle).

I can definitely recommend a wobble board after having an ankle sprain myself a few months ago. Get yourself to see a sports physio (don't rely on the NHS - go private - or you'll heal before you get a chance to see one). The physio I went to see a few times at my local gym was only £20 for 30 minutes, a small price to pay considering successful recovery will have an impact on your fitness, quite possibly your career.

To pass on advice from my physio -stretch. Especially your calf muscle, as if these tighten up they put extra strain on every portion of your legs.

Ash

Stress fracture sounds bad. Hope it is not that.

It feels normal when i am walking around, it was just after a short while of running and after. May be me just being a pansy!

thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

pedroliam

Midshipman
I don't mean to sway you from the Doc's advice but it could quite possibly be shin splints. Very common for runners, especially those new to it. I've had them a few times in the past, just lay off for a couple of days, ice it after any exercise and elevate it when you can. Despite the name, 'shin splints' can start anywhere above your ankle and lead all the way up to your knee (and on either side of your calf muscle).

I can definitely recommend a wobble board after having an ankle sprain myself a few months ago. Get yourself to see a sports physio (don't rely on the NHS - go private - or you'll heal before you get a chance to see one). The physio I went to see a few times at my local gym was only £20 for 30 minutes, a small price to pay considering successful recovery will have an impact on your fitness, quite possibly your career.

To pass on advice from my physio -stretch. Especially your calf muscle, as if these tighten up they put extra strain on every portion of your legs.

Ash

I do have really tight calves, the aching has been gone now for a couple of days, i haven't run since i posted on this thread. I am on the waiting list to see my doctor (ridiculous) for a weeks time. I am not going to give into the temptation and continue running until i have seen the doctor.

I am continuing with my circuit training and swimming as it does not seem to affect the ankle at all.

Thanks for your advice!

Ash891

Badgeman
I do have really tight calves, the aching has been gone now for a couple of days, i haven't run since i posted on this thread. I am on the waiting list to see my doctor (ridiculous) for a weeks time. I am not going to give into the temptation and continue running until i have seen the doctor.

I am continuing with my circuit training and swimming as it does not seem to affect the ankle at all.

Thanks for your advice!

It's for the best. You're not going to lose any fitness by switching activity for a week or two.

When you do get back into running, make sure you warm up and don't give it maximum effort on your first try.

Personally I'd start with a slow few miler before attempting max effort 1.5's.

Ash

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

pedroliam

Midshipman
Definitely, in fact as i find running much easier than swimming, it may be even a blessing in disguise! It will probably increase my V02 max and make running even easier...!

Definitely, in fact as i find running much easier than swimming, it may be even a blessing in disguise! It will probably increase my V02 max and make running even easier...!

To combine both exercises why not try running on water, it worked for me.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

pedroliam

Midshipman
Thought I would give you all an update, been to the doctors and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. After lots of pushing, twisting, prodding and looking at my running shoes. It is my shoes at fault for causing me to run on the outside of my feet.

Running on the outside of your feet, even slightly can cause your perennial tendon to flair up.

Off to get my running gate checked at a posh shop and part with some dosh.

Ash891

Badgeman
Sounds like you've been using shoes with too much support for your arch-type!

Hope proper shoes work out for you, they did for me (but expect some aches until you get used to them!)

Thought I would give you all an update, been to the doctors and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. After lots of pushing, twisting, prodding and looking at my running shoes. It is my shoes at fault for causing me to run on the outside of my feet.

Running on the outside of your feet, even slightly can cause your perennial tendon to flair up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Running on the outside of your feet! Do you have rickets?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Latest Threads