Ankle Support

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Evans89, Dec 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I am new here so I hope this is in the right place.

basically I have a football injury from around June, I rested it until September passed my PJFT fine but then played football and the same injury occurred.
    I have been having physio for weeks and my fitness is good. However I still feel a tweak and a little bit of stiffness every now and again.

I have been invited to my PRNC in 2 weeks time and then to Raleigh 6th Jan (pending passing PRNC)

Basically I am really nervous my ankle is going to go over again and result in me being discharged.

Do you think it would be ok to take a Ankle support to my PRNC and ultimately Raleigh or is this against the rules?

Thanks for your help.

2. If you need an ankle support as you don't trust the joint yet, then you are not ready for PRNC and definitely not ready for basic training.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A serious post from me tonight to balance my other flippant ones.

Angry Doc is the Doc and from experience I endorse his advice (AD please correct my technical points if wrong).

My understanding is that when you 'sprain' your ankle it doesn't just damage the muscle, ligaments and tendons, but also the nerves. The nerves are the mechanism for sending the 'I am about to twist my ankle' messages to your brain which is why, when you have done it once, you have a greater tendency to do it again.

My personal experience backs this up. Twisted ankle badly when 18 before joining BRNC. Did it even more badly during PLX (yes I am that old) on Dartmoor but, fortunately, near the end so no re-scrub. Foolishly played div football and did it again a month later.

Hydroquartizone (sp?) injection into the joint (not a laughing matter) and stopped doing sport for a proper rest period.

26 years later I still get twinges when I run.

I recommend a proper lay off. Balance boards help so I am told. It may well be worth some professional rehab.

4. Thanks for your reply, I can run on it fine it doesn't hurt at all, but like you pointed out, once it's happened once its more likely to happen again. Hence my concern. This is why I wanted to strap up, as a procaution not because I feel I need the strap to run but I would rather be safe than go over on it and be sent home . So are ankle supports ok to take or not?

5. Not ok. The RN will not take responsibility for you exacerbating an already weak joint. I say weak as if it was fully recovered you wouldn't still be worried about it. I suggest you see a physio, either through your GP or your gym (if it's a fancy skinny decaf latte-selling one).

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Here's a radical plan: Ring your AFCO. Whilst every sympathy is afforded to those in such circumstances, read on...

Firstly, as indicated in the post interview caution, it's a condition of entry into the Naval service that you must inform your AFCO of any changes of circumstances. This includes change of contact details, involvement with the police and any injury after passing the medical examination. It may well be the AFCO medical examiner declares you fit to enter, so the onus is taken off you.

The S3049 Attestation Form, on which you "sign-on" advises that any undisclosed, pre-existing injury which comes to light in the first 56 days of training can lead to dismissal for fraudulence - an outright bar to further service.

Deferring entry now, if not 100% ready o undergo the rigours of training, means that someone else can get a short notice entry date & you will not waste a training place nor risk losing a job.

If you wear a support bandage, you're highlighting an undeclared injury otherwise.

In any event, whilst it's appreciated it's not an easy call, the long-term implications with regard joining the Navy will remain intact if you follow the correct route. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have to concur with the Adoc, your ankle is currently not at full strength, and with Sep86, I also badly sprained my ankle many moons ago, it took about a year of rest physiotherapy and light training before I could play rugby again and was warned it would always be my weak ankle, years later about 20yrs I went over on it again, lowering myself into a confined wing bilge and on an un-even surface, back to physiotherapy again, and 15yrs on, now I have osteoarthritis in that joint.

Take Adoc’s advice, and seek advice from your GP and or physiotherapist explaining to them the rigor of basic training and the importance of staying injury or risk of injury free for the first 56 days?

For rigor read, at the drop of a hat play, any sport, run cross country, square bashing, have heavy rucksack and travel across moorland etc. not your normal 09:00 to 17:00 job.

So as much as you are chaffing at the bit to join up Nstoker has given the rules that you would not be complying with, and could lead to dismissal with no return, take time to recover and leave out the contact sports that require you to twist and turn your ankle, once fit join and enjoy your time in the mob.

Good look

8. Sorry to dig up an old post, but i have a relevant question.

A few weeks ago whilst running my left shin and ankle started to become painful, i carried on running and when i got home it was hard to put weight on it, so quite painful.

There was no swelling or bruising, and now there is no pain, when i do run my ankle aches after running.

What sort of injury could this be? Is the aching a sign for me to stop?

I have also changed my running shoes back to my old ones, as the ones i was wearing had quite a high arch.

9. I don't do fortune telling any longer, the headaches were getting too bad. However, I can tell you how long your Naval career will be if you join with your current, and ongoing, problem - 2 days.

Why? -well that how long you wait for your medical review on joining and first fitness test, at which point the problem eill get worse and all will be revealed to the senior Dr at HMS Raleigh.

I totally agree will NS, AD et al and have seen many like you try their luck in the hope the problem will go away. Go see your Dr, tell your AFCO and get it fixed.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

10. Stress fracture sounds bad. Hope it is not that.

It feels normal when i am walking around, it was just after a short while of running and after. May be me just being a pansy!

thanks for the advice.

11. Was this to me regarding a achey ankle or the original post?

12. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You linked your issue with the OP. I'd say the advice given applies to the OP and you.

You pitch up with a wobbly ankle and you will be on the way home after 48 hours. If you've pain from a little bit of running now, 2 days of marching and running might just upset you too.

You've barely started the recruitment process. Do what AD said and get it looked at.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Definitely going to get it checked out with the doctor. Ruining my chances with the navy is something i would not want to do.

14. Both to be honest. If there is one area that results in the most rejections and failures in the early stage of training it is lower limbs problems, most of which were present pre-joining.
    A discharge as a NFA (Not Finally Approved) Medical makes it harder to rejoin, in fact most do not get a second chance.
    Being upfront shows integrity, honesty, courage amongst many others of the Service Core Values.
    Whatever happens, I wish you good luck and a quick fix.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah, that's what I thought, so I ran on a broken leg for a month. 3 months later, I was fixed enough to be pain free, and 6 months to be able run again.

16. I don't mean to sway you from the Doc's advice but it could quite possibly be shin splints. Very common for runners, especially those new to it. I've had them a few times in the past, just lay off for a couple of days, ice it after any exercise and elevate it when you can. Despite the name, 'shin splints' can start anywhere above your ankle and lead all the way up to your knee (and on either side of your calf muscle).

I can definitely recommend a wobble board after having an ankle sprain myself a few months ago. Get yourself to see a sports physio (don't rely on the NHS - go private - or you'll heal before you get a chance to see one). The physio I went to see a few times at my local gym was only £20 for 30 minutes, a small price to pay considering successful recovery will have an impact on your fitness, quite possibly your career.

To pass on advice from my physio -stretch. Especially your calf muscle, as if these tighten up they put extra strain on every portion of your legs.

Ash

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    • Like Like x 1

17. I do have really tight calves, the aching has been gone now for a couple of days, i haven't run since i posted on this thread. I am on the waiting list to see my doctor (ridiculous) for a weeks time. I am not going to give into the temptation and continue running until i have seen the doctor.

I am continuing with my circuit training and swimming as it does not seem to affect the ankle at all.

Thanks for your advice!

• Like Like x 1
  18. It's for the best. You're not going to lose any fitness by switching activity for a week or two.

When you do get back into running, make sure you warm up and don't give it maximum effort on your first try.

Personally I'd start with a slow few miler before attempting max effort 1.5's.

Ash

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Definitely, in fact as i find running much easier than swimming, it may be even a blessing in disguise! It will probably increase my V02 max and make running even easier...!

20. To combine both exercises why not try running on water, it worked for me.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1