Andy McNAB

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I don't rate McNab's or Ryan's novels. The worst of it is, when I start a book I HAVE to finish it no matter how awful as I have this nagging doubt that I'll see myself off as I'll bin it then later find out it was great. I have soldiered on through some bloody awful reads, I can tell you.

Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action are good, I wouldn't rate his fiction.
That's funny. Fair play, it is.

If you want to read a decent war memoir try "Quartered safe out here" by Gordon Mcdonald Fraser or "With The old Breed" by Eugene Sledge.

Last edited:

daffy1

War Hero
Well I love all of his books, I'm sure they are all true with 100% accurate descriptions. I'm pretty sure all of his books are based on past experiences and often when I fall asleep reading McNab or Ryan books I dream about assisnations plots, fast cars and killing the bad guys.

If you want to read a decent war memoir try "Quartered safe out here" by Gordon Mcdonald Fraser or "With The old Breed" by Eugene Sledge.
If you enjoyed the above.Try and get your hands on 'Theres a devil in the drum'. By John F Lucy.

I actually think back to a cracking night on the piss in Bristol with a bootneck nicking the seafood basket that a street hawker was wearing, Mary Poppins songs, Alive alive Oh, Who will buy this beautiful memory, laughter and a bloody good barbeque. One of the Bootnecks present that night was on the B20 Patrol.

That's the memory that gets triggered by B20. That and a candid chat with an oppo who was shocked how cold the desert was.

Shame the patrol worked out as it did.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I actually think back to a cracking night on the piss in Bristol with a bootneck nicking the seafood basket that a street hawker was wearing, Mary Poppins songs, Alive alive Oh, Who will buy this beautiful memory, laughter and a bloody good barbeque. One of the Bootnecks present that night was on the B20 Patrol...
Mal MacG? :?

SEP86

War Hero
I have read most of his non-fiction and a bit of his fiction and tend to agree with Wave Dodger above. Light trashy action novels, ideal for a flight or the beach. These days I prefer Lee Child's Jack Reacher series though when I need a break from the Tolstoy and the Joyce.

jaggers

Lantern Swinger

Yes, Quartered Safe Out Here is excellent. And this is the guy who will go on to create Flashman and Octopussy and adapt The Three Musketeers for the screen

Grim_Squeaker85

Lantern Swinger
James Barrington's novels are rather good. Ex FAA Pilot. Decently cunning plots but not too heavy on the grey matter.

For memoirs.... Armoured Farmer by Malcolm Cleverly (an Arrser), Periscope Depth by George Simpson, Loud and Clear by Iftach Spector (One of the Israeli pilots who protested against airstrike policy), Diver by Tony Groom and Down South by Chris Parry were all very good. Also, Kaboom by Matt Gallagher is worth a gander for a yank take of Iraq.

All my other suggestions have already more or less been mentioned by Blobby and Sarking.

Latest Threads