Andy McNAB

taffscrivs

War Hero
I thought all the old salts would readbooks by Douglas Reeman, not that ****** McNab. Fair do's good old Dougie spins a good yarn, although the hero is usually a shell shocked officer chappie with a tragic past, trying to forget it by going back to sea on a dodgy mission which he may not survive. But before he sails he pulls an equally tragic, stunning bit of fanny, probably an air aces widow, who works in the Admirals office, It all gets romantic then and all very polite, he takes her to bed "and two become one". Pity he doesn't tell it how it was, e.g. "Sandy thought this was the last jump he'd ever get so he ****ed her senseless". This is why I prefer the books by Sven Hassell, give me Porta and Co's mad escapades in some French whorehouse any day!

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ah yes. I was practically brought up on Sven Hassel and his "escapades". Good read though.

Sharkey

Banned
I thought all the old salts would readbooks by Douglas Reeman, not that ****** McNab. Fair do's good old Dougie spins a good yarn, although the hero is usually a shell shocked officer chappie with a tragic past, trying to forget it by going back to sea on a dodgy mission which he may not survive. But before he sails he pulls an equally tragic, stunning bit of fanny, probably an air aces widow, who works in the Admirals office, It all gets romantic then and all very polite, he takes her to bed "and two become one". Pity he doesn't tell it how it was, e.g. "Sandy thought this was the last jump he'd ever get so he ****ed her senseless". This is why I prefer the books by Sven Hassell, give me Porta and Co's mad escapades in some French whorehouse any day!
Wasnt the hero usually RNR

taffscrivs

War Hero
And back in the day, if it was a Shitkicker you wanted it just had to be either Louis L'Amour or Edge, he was was right evil sod.

You can keep Mc Nabb and Hassel.Spike Milligans military memoirs for the unvarnished truth of army life.From 'Hitler,my part in his downfall' to 'Goodbye Soldier' :wink:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Have to agree with Sarking, there's not many books that have me laughing out loud but Spikes four books in the trilogy (yes, you did read that correctly) are brilliant.

I think there were five books in the series Wrecker.'Hitler, my part in his downfall'. 'Rommel? Gunner who?' 'Monty,his part in my victory'. 'Mussolini, his part in my downfall'.and 'Goodbye soldier'. Try and read them in chronological order.But not on the train.The looks you get when there are tears of laughter running down your face.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
I've read a plethora of SAS/SBS/Navy Seal-type books. I've read them many times over as, having such a shit memory, each time is like reading them anew.

It's interesting seeing the different perspectives of the same operations, the fictions are adequate and I've no problem with authors making shit up. Why anyone would become angry about any of them is beyond me, apart from where reference is made to people who are known personally. And even then, it's still from the author's perspective.

One of the books of that genre I liked best was Will Scully's 'Once a Pilgrim', in that, regardless of accuracy, it showed how one person can take control of a situation in which most of us would tend to follow direction.

I for one, hope that the McNabs of this world, continue to earn shitloads of money making loads of people content for an hour or two, while at the same time, annoying other people to the brink of apoplexy.

I wish I could do it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'd forgotton the Mussolini one. The first time I read Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall was on the train coming down from Faslane to Guzz, I was laughing so much an elderly couple gave me the filthiest of looks and changed carriages with much muttering and harrumphing! :)

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
Has anyone read/completed any of his books? I personally think he is a great writer.:sleepy1::sleepy1:
Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action are good, I wouldn't rate his fiction. I've actually read all the books on Bravo Two Zero (to keep myself sane during the middle watch after 3 weeks at sea! The 'ships library' is always composed of books sold in airports) and I think it's basically a case of the blind men describing an elephant, everyone has a different perspective and comprehended and remembered different things

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
I'd forgotton the Mussolini one. The first time I read Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall was on the train coming down from Faslane to Guzz, I was laughing so much an elderly couple gave me the filthiest of looks and changed carriages with much muttering and harrumphing! :)
Yeah, Spike's the greatest.
'It was a proud day for my family when I left the house to join my regiment. "I'm too young to go!" I screamed as the military policemen dragged me from my bed and ripped off my Brownie uniform';-P

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Do you mean Andy Mcnab, the millionaire with that big house, nice car and nice holidays, and loads of money
and a publishing deal, and a good lifestyle and all that?

I buy his paperbacks from charity shops and use them to prop up the wonky wardrobes in my rented terraced
house.

Not that I'm jealous mind. His books are thicker than Catherine Cooksons.

bacon28

Badgeman
off topic but a good book i would recommend of a military nature is one called THE NAKED SOLDIER by TONY SLOANE ,this is about a brit in the French Foreign Legion how he survives this was amazing imagine drinking like an achoholic then running the London marathon the next day and throw in a few fights somewhere in between it makes the SAS look like the W.I...highly recomended

Last edited:

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I think there were five books in the series Wrecker.'Hitler, my part in his downfall'. 'Rommel? Gunner who?' 'Monty,his part in my victory'. 'Mussolini, his part in my downfall'.and 'Goodbye soldier'. Try and read them in chronological order.But not on the train.The looks you get when there are tears of laughter running down your face.
You forgot "Where have all the bullets gone?" Which is the one before Goodbye Soldier.

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Ah; good old Spike, The sailors perfect soldier. Imagine serving with him. The Jerries wouldn't have got you, you'd have died laughing long before they showed up!

Latest Threads