Andy McNAB

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by WhatTheDeuce, May 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone read/completed any of his books? I personally think he is a great writer.:sleepy1::sleepy1:

2. You could be lonely.....they are dross..

3. I'm not a fan, if I'm honest. I find the style difficult to follow and uninteresting, as in, any old writer can write a shoot-out scene, but the skill lies in the description, the feelings and emotions the book gives off and the reader feels, you simply don't feel anything with his writing. Also, too much action too quickly makes the plot tough to follow at points, IMO.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I've never read any of his books, I'm not really a fan of autobiographies.

He leaves the end unfinished and you have to complete it yourself? What an novel idea.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I read Bravo Two Zero because I knew one of the lads on the mission, he was ex 40. I have mixed emotions on the book and the whole sorry story. I appreciate the author has a little lee way to embelish a story and fair play for making a few quid but there's an awful lot of shite in that book.
    I haven't read any of his others, If I'm going to read some made up military story I prefer Tom Clancy.

6. WB have you tried Duncan Falconer? The novels are simple and easy, but his auto biography First into Action is pretty good. He (and three others) were the only badged lads to go straight from CTC as newly selected Royals to selection. Those that know me, know I have a vested interest so for me a good read.

To answer the OP-No. But books are like chicks, it all depends on what floats your boat I guess.

7. Thanks Frogman, I'll definetly check out Duncan Falconer, seems like he'd be worth a read.

8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Oddly I quite like McNab and Ryan's books - recognising them for what they are literary fluff - great for mindless reading on trains/planes. I agree with Froggie, Falconers books are a good read too, just avoid Born Fearless by "Big Bill" Campion, total pish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've not read any McNab, but I've read one Ryan book, The Kremlin Device, and I thought it was quite good actually

• Like Like x 1
  10. McGobb boil's my piss,i read B 2 zero and imediate action years ago [when i was younger i read a fair few SAS book's,i don't read them now]but mcnab and ryan just irritate me they have IMHO damaged the reputation of the SAS and why does he still have his face picsilated is he ugly or something,whenever there is a war or a terroist incident sure as shit up they pop ,they then leave people feeling non the wiser...ass for his fiction i would rather read a phone book....

11. As you seem to be a huge fan of his work, which of his books would you recommend reading first?

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why do they offend you so much? Is it because, books aside and some of the shite contained therein, they've done things you can only dream of?

13. bet you've got the whole collection,....

14. If he does, one day they'll fetch more at auction than your leather bound, laminated 'A Bear's life' magazine collection.

15. I think McNab had a lot to do with SAS losing a lot of their mystique.

Read Bravo 20 and haven't read sod all else by him. Thought the RSM's autobiography covering that episode to quite enlightening though!!!! (Sorry forgot the gents name)

16. it got to the stage of the ex wives spilling the beanz...

17. Why?..............................

18. Blackrat

Actually i'm not a fan of the books, as you would have noticed from my comment if you had any perception. I'm just curious as to why people you've never met wind you up so much.

19. Blackrat

Pete Radcliffe.

20. Peter Ratcliffe ?

• Like Like x 1